Men's basketball tournament roundup

Boston College's Jerome Robinson drives past North Carolina State's Abdul-Malik Abu during the first half of Wednesday's Atlantic Coast Conference tournament second round game at Barclays Center. Boston College upset the Wolfpack, 91-87. (Frank Franklin II/AP Photo)
Boston College's Jerome Robinson drives past North Carolina State's Abdul-Malik Abu during the first half of Wednesday's Atlantic Coast Conference tournament second round game at Barclays Center. Boston College upset the Wolfpack, 91-87. (Frank Franklin II/AP Photo)


Boston College 91, North Carolina State 87

Boston College's turnaround season now includes the most successful Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament the Eagles have had in 12 years.

Jerome Robinson made a pull-up jumper with 17 seconds left to break a tie, and then forced a turnover on an inbounds play moments later, and Boston College upset North Carolina State on Wednesday in the second round of the ACC Tournament.

Robinson scored 26 points and fellow North Carolinian Ky Bowman had 24 for the 12th-seeded Eagles (19-14), who will face No. 4 seed Clemson on Thursday in the quarterfinals at Barclays Center.

Just two seasons after going winless in ACC play, coach Jim Christian has the Eagles headed for at least an NIT bid — and who knows what else here in Brooklyn. They have already won more games in the ACC Tournament than any BC team since 2006, when the Eagles lost the championship game to Duke in their first season In the conference.

"In my first two years we had two ACC wins, and we knew that was just a process," said Robinson, a junior. "And, I mean, I stuck with it, with Coach. We just listened to Coach, and he had the vision."

The fifth-seeded Wolfpack (21-11) wiped out a double-digit deficit in the final 10 minutes and tied it five times down the stretch.

"Every time we made a basket, they would come down and make a basket," North Carolina State coach Kevin Keatts said. "If you were a fan, the last three minutes of the game were pretty exciting."

Two free throws by Torin Dorn of N.C. State with 40.7 seconds left to make it 85-all.

Then Boston College let Robinson, runner-up for ACC player of the year, take over.

Robinson dribbled away from the screen, left N.C. State big-man Omer Yurtseven behind and let go with a smooth jumper from about 10 feet to give BC a lead.

"I was trying to get around the big fella, and then by the time I got a little space, and I had seen (another defender) was trying to cut me off and probably take a charge there, so just pulled up for a mid-range," Robinson said.

On the ensuing possession, Robinson was on the in-bounder as N.C. State tried to get it in from the front court, and got a hand on Allerik Freeman's pass. Bowman came up with the ball and was fouled. He made two shots to put BC up four.

Bowman called the steal the "biggest play of the night."

Markell Johnson cut it to two with 7.3 left, but then he called a timeout when the Wolfpack didn't have one and was called for a technical. Robinson made two more free throws to seal the victory.

"I knew in my head we didn't have any," Johnson said. "I was so caught up in the game."

Yurtseven had 18 of his 20 points in the second half and Freeman had 21 for North Carolina State.

Boston College center Nic Popovic hit the floor during a small pileup while going for a loose ball with about 12:30 left in the first half. At first he got up and started making his way back on defense, but after about three steps he stopped and went to the floor just short of midcourt, grabbing his lower right leg. He hopped to the bench and eventually was helped to the locker room. Popovic returned and re-entered the game with about seven minutes left. The sophomore, who had a career high 20 points in the opening round against Georgia Tech, finished with 15 points, seven rebounds and a sore calf.

No. 12 North Carolina 78, Syracuse 59

Theo Pinson pinpointed the reason North Carolina had success attacking Syracuse's 2-3 zone.

"Getting me the ball," the Tar Heels senior forward and resident comedian said.

Pinson was joking, but as with all good comedy there was some truth in the punchline.

Pinson had 16 points, 11 rebounds and six assists and Kenny Williams scored 17 points as North Carolina beat Syracuse.

The sixth-seeded Tar Heels (23-9) face third-seeded Miami on Thursday night in the quarterfinals at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

After shooting 38 percent in the first half against Syracuse, the Tar Heels settled for fewer jumpers in the second and found some soft spots in the zone.

"Coach said yesterday in practice we're such an unselfish team he doesn't really have to worry about us moving the ball," Pinson said. "You see tonight, I think it was multiple times, guys had shots and they were looking for their teammates."

Oshae Brissett scored 20 points and made five 3s for 11th-seeded Syracuse (20-13), which never got closer than nine down in the second half. The Orange will head toward NCAA Tournament Selection Sunday firmly on the bubble for an at-large bid.

"Every coach in the country thinks his team's a tournament," Orange coach Jim Boeheim said. "It'll be close. There's a whole group of teams that -- some that's almost a coin flip."

North Carolina won the last game of a quadruple-header at Barclays, but it was still a sad day for Tar Heels Nation. Woody Durham, former longtime "Voice of the Tar Heels," died early Wednesday at 76 after a lengthy illness.

The Tar Heels honored Durham, who called North Carolina games for 40 years, by wearing white warm-up shirts that had "Woody" written in black letters across the backs. Coach Roy Williams wore a navy blue suit with a Carolina blue ribbon pinned to his lapel. Durham's son, Wes, was courtside calling the game for Raycom Sports.

"It was a sad day for all of us because I lost a friend, but we lost a guy who's a legend in North Carolina basketball," Williams said.

North Carolina controlled the last 10 minutes of the first half and built a 39-29 lead at intermission. Then the Tar Heels surged to start the second half, with Williams dropping in a 3 to make it 51-33 with 15:35 left.

North Carolina shot 44 percent against the Syracuse zone, with Pinson picking through the seams and Williams doing damage in transition.

The lead was up to 21 when Williams slipped a pass to Cameron Johnson trailing on the break for a layup.

The game before North Carolina's at Barclays Center had Notre Dame overcome a 21-point, second-half deficit against Virginia Tech. There was no such comeback for Syracuse.

The Orange entered the day with an RPI of 36, and Boeheim has been touting good road victories against Louisville and Miami. Using advanced metrics, which the selection committee will consider, the Orange don't stack up quite as well. They were No. 51 in KenPom ratings before playing North Carolina. And they finished 9-11 against ACC competition.

Notre Dame 71, Virginia Tech 65

With momentum finally in hand, Bonzie Colson pounded his chest and screamed in triumph.

Matt Farrell looked over at former Notre Dame star LaPhonso Ellis, broadcasting courtside for ESPN, and yelled: “I told you Phonso, we ain’t done!”

The biggest comeback in Fighting Irish history came just in time Wednesday night — and that was worth hollering about.

Colson banked in a go-ahead, 3-point heave that barely beat the shot clock with two minutes remaining, and Notre Dame rallied from 21 down in the second half to stun Virginia Tech.

“How about that, huh?” Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said. “I’ve never been prouder of a group, because they were thumping us pretty good.”

Farrell scored 22 points for the 10th-seeded Irish (20-13), who overcame a dreadful start in extending their late push to reach the NCAA Tournament.

Finally healthy after injuries to Colson and Farrell nearly wrecked a promising season, Notre Dame advanced to play Thursday night in the quarterfinals against fifth-ranked and second-seeded Duke, the defending tournament champion.

Do the Irish need to win at least that one, too, in order to make the field of 68?

Hard to say — but they sure woke up the echoes on this snowy night in Brooklyn.

“I’ve never been a big guy to campaign, but I think we really deserve to be in,” Brey said. “When I have my guys back, we’re a top-20 team, and I think people on that committee know that. I feel strongly that we should be part of it. We have another great opportunity to end all the drama of it (Thursday) night, but we need to get some rest.”

With the Irish stars struggling to make shots, seventh-seeded Virginia Tech (21-11) was cruising along with a 47-26 lead with 14 minutes remaining when Farrell drained his second consecutive 3.

That started a ferocious surge that got a feisty Notre Dame squad back into it. The game got a little testy as the Irish picked up the intensity and the Hokies went cold on offense.

“We disintegrated. We didn’t guard. They scored 45 points in the last 15 minutes,” Virginia Tech coach Buzz Williams said. “Just completely fell apart the last 15 minutes defensively.”

A technical foul on Virginia Tech swingman Chris Clarke for shoving Farrell led to four Notre Dame free throws that trimmed it to 54-50 with 7:45 to go.

“He flopped and fell on the ground,” Clarke insisted.

And after his off-balance, desperation shot from the right wing finally gave the Irish a 60-59 edge, Colson kissed three fingers on each hand and gestured to the crowd with his arms raised.

“That felt good. Backboard is there for a reason,” said Colson, who shot 1 of 10 in the first half and looked winded much of the night. “Those are the shots that you’ve got to hit during those times.”

Notre Dame extended its advantage at the free throw line the rest of the way.

When it was over, Farrell and Colson embraced in a big bear hug, senior to senior.

“That meant a lot to us. Just everything we’ve gone through. It was just a great win for us, and it was kind of emotional,” Farrell said. “He’s been a brother to me for my four years here.”

Colson, a preseason All-American in his fourth game back from a broken foot, finished with 12 points on 4-of-14 shooting. Rex Pflueger had 14 points and nine rebounds, and T.J. Gibbs added 13 points and seven assists for Notre Dame.

“All the stuff they’ve been through, they’re such tough dudes,” Brey said. “And tonight you saw it.”

Justin Robinson and Justin Bibbs scored 15 apiece for the Hokies.

Louisville 82, Florida State 74

Quentin Snider scored 19 points, Ray Spalding had 18 and Louisville built a huge lead before knocking off Florida State in a game with substantial NCAA implications.

Deng Adel added 15 points and eight rebounds for the ninth-seeded Cardinals (20-12), who won for the first time in ACC postseason play and advanced to face top-ranked Virginia in the first quarterfinal Thursday.

Trent Forrest and PJ Savoy each had 14 points off the bench to pace No. 8 seed Florida State (20-11), which trailed by 26 with 11 minutes remaining.

A furious rally by the Seminoles whittled the margin to eight with 3:26 to play, but Louisville regrouped and hung on behind Snider. The senior point guard had six assists and five rebounds without committing a turnover in 35 minutes.

Atlantic 10

Massachusetts 69, La Salle 67

C.J. Anderson scored 21 points and Massachusetts held off La Salle in the first round.

No. 13 seed UMass (13-19) will face fifth-seeded George Mason (15-16) in a Thursday quarterfinal.

Pookie Powell’s 3-point play gave La Salle its last lead, 62-61, before UMass pushed ahead to 68-67 with 44 seconds to play. La Salle’s B.J. Johnson blocked Unique McLean’s jumper with 14 seconds remaining, but Powell missed a jumper and a 3-pointer in the final eight seconds.

Luwane Pipkins added 15 points, Malik Hines had 14 and Carl Pierre 11 for the Minutemen. Anderson and Pipkens both shot 4 of 7 from long range.

Tony Washington scored 20 points to lead No. 12 seed La Salle (13-19). Johnson and Powell chipped in 18 points apiece.

George Washington 78, Fordham 72

Jair Bolden scored 22 points and George Washington beat Fordham.

No. 11 seed George Washington advances to the second round to meet sixth-seeded Saint Louis on Thursday night.

Bo Zeigler added 16 points and seven rebounds for the Colonials (15-17). Yuta Watanabe had 12 points, Arnaldo Toro had 11 points and led the team with 14 rebounds, and Maceo Jack chipped in 10 points.

The Colonials led by one at the break and the teams battled through six lead changes and eight tied scores in the second half before a Zeigler layup gave them a 71-68 edge with 2:52 to play. Fordham made just two field goals after that as Watanabe and Bolden combined for six free throws to help seal the win.

Joseph Chartouny led No. 14 seed Fordham (9-22) with 18 points, eight assists and four steals. Prokop Slanina and Ivan Raut added 15 points apiece.

Big East

St. John’s 88, Georgetown 77

Shamorie Ponds was just fine in returning from an abdominal strain, and so is St. John’s.

Ponds scored 26 points in returning from the injury that sidelined him the final two games of the regular season and the ninth-seeded Red Storm took over in the second half to beat ninth-seeded Georgetown in the first round of the tournament.

“Right before the game I was feeling good,” said Ponds, who was 9 of 14 from the field. “It didn’t give me no pain or anything. I wasn’t paying no mind to it. I played through it.”

Having Ponds is big for St. John’s. The sophomore guard, who led the conference in scoring at 21.6, averaged more than 29 points in his last seven games before being hurt.

He was the catalyst early and got a lot of help in the second half.

Marvin Clark II scored 11 of his 16 points in the second half and the Red Storm (16-16) beat the Hoyas (15-15) in the first round for the second straight year. It also was St. John’s first win over Georgetown in three games this season and its sixth win in nine games overall.

“First half we were trying to get me looks in the post but I was kind of rushing,” Clark said. “Second half we spaced me out to the rim, but still got me some post ups. I just took my time, tried to go off of two feet, get in to their body and finish through contact.”

Justin Simon added 16 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and four steals as the Red Storm advanced to a quarterfinal game against top-seeded Xavier on Thursday at Madison Square Garden. Tariq Owens had 13 points.

Jessie Govan had 28 points and 11 rebounds for Georgetown, but only eight points came in the second half. Marcus Derrickson added 20 points for the Hoyas, who have lost five in a row.

“It’s very disappointing,” Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing said. “But you know, it’s hard to beat a good, quality team as St. John’s three straight times. You know, they have a lot of talent on their team. They’re very well-coached. And you have to be able to play your A game if you want to beat them.”

St. John’s won this one with its shooting and defense. It shot 53 percent from the field for the game and held Georgetown to 26 percent in the second half.

Down six at the half, St. John’s took the lead for good when Owens scored in the lane to snap a 59-all tie and ignite an 8-0 run that ended with a basket and free throw by Ponds and a three-point play by Simon for a 67-59 lead with 9:11 to go.

The closest Georgetown got the rest of the way was five points.

The game was not a typical Big East postseason game. There was little defense as both teams went up and down the court with the Hoyas taking a 48-42 halftime lead with Govan scoring 20 points. Ponds had 13 for the Red Storm.

The Johnnies are going to be a tough out at MSG. They have won four of their last five games in the city, including a win over then-No. 4 Duke on Feb. 3.

“Xavier is one of the most physical teams, I think, in the league offensively and defensively,” St. John’s coach Chris Mullin said. “We’ll get on that a little bit tonight and do a little quick film in the morning and be ready to go.”

The Hoyas needed more scoring help from their three other starters. Jamorko Pickett (two points), Jonathan Mulmore (four) and Kaleb Johnson combined for six points on 1-of-11 shooting. They were averaging a combined 23.7 points.

Marquette 72, DePaul 69

Andrew Rowsey scored 25 points and seventh-seeded Marquette blew a 14-point lead and came back to outlast 10th-seeded DePaul.

Sam Hauser added 16 points and hit two big free throws with 33 seconds to play as the Golden Eagles (19-12) handed the Blue Demons (11-20) their fourth-straight opening-round loss in the tournament.

DePaul had a chance to win the game in the final seconds but Max Strus, who scored 19 of his 22 points in the second half, missed an open 3-pointer with Marquette clinging to a 70-69 lead.

Rowsey got the rebound and was fouled, making two free throws with less than a second to play.

The win was the third straight for Marquette, which advanced to a quarterfinal showdown against second-seeded Villanova on Thursday night.

Marin Maric also scored 22 points for DePaul.

Strus drove the lane and dunked to tie the game at 61 with 5:46 to play.

Rowsey, who had only one second-half field goal at that point, hit a 3-pointer and a jumper to give the Golden Eagles a 66-61 lead.

A basket by Eli Cain and a 3-pointer by Strus, sandwiched around a jumper by Sacar Anim, got DePaul with 68-66.

Hauser’s two free throws pushed the lead to four but Strus hit a long 3-pointer in front of his bench to make it 70-69 with 21.3 seconds to play.

Rowsey turned the ball over at midcourt with 11.5 seconds left and DePaul called its final timeout to set up Strus for his wide-open shot.

Big 12

Oklahoma State 71, Oklahoma 60

Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton wasted no time this week pondering whether his team had done enough to merit an at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament.

That’s because the Big 12 Tournament winner gets in automatically.

“I just control the things I can control, and the only thing I’ve been worried about since we played Saturday was getting my team ready to play,” Boynton said after the eighth-seeded Cowboys’ victory over No. 9 seed Oklahoma in the opening round.

“We came here to win the Big 12 Tournament. We’ll worry about what next week brings next week.”

Cameron McGriff scored 18 points, Jeffrey Carroll added 13 points and 13 rebounds, and Kendall Smith finished with 11 points for the Cowboys (19-13), who led 58-53 with 6 minutes left before easing away down the stretch to set up a quarterfinal matchup with No. 1 seed Kansas.

Oklahoma State swept the ninth-ranked Jayhawks during the regular season.

“I guess we have about 18 hours,” Boynton said, “to refresh our bodies and minds.”

Trae Young had 22 points on 7-for-21 shooting for the Sooners (18-13), but no amount of offense could overcome a startling disparity on the boards. Oklahoma was outrebounded 53-27, and all of those rebounds led to a 19-2 advantage for the Cowboys in second-chance points.

“We just didn’t do the job we had to do against a good club in keeping them to one shot,” Sooners coach Lon Kruger said. “They were more aggressive in the first half, when they popped a little bit of a lead, and again when we got close in the second half.”

Now, the Sooners must anxiously await their NCAA Tournament fate.

“Instead of us taking care of our business we left it in the committee’s hands,” Young said. “We played in the toughest conference in America. I think our resume speaks for itself.”

The Sooners beat the Cowboys by 20 in early January, back when they were ascending to No. 4 in the nation. But things began to fall apart midway through the conference schedule, beginning with a lopsided loss to Kansas State and an overtime defeat to the Cowboys in Stillwater.

The slump hit its nadir with a six-game skid that put the Sooners on the NCAA Tournament bubble.

Things weren’t a whole lot better during the first half at the Sprint Center. Young was hassled every time he touched the ball, nobody else made shots and the Cowboys slowly built a 39-28 lead.

It swelled to 50-34 when McGriff hit his third 3-pointer of the second half.

“He was definitely a spark,” the Cowboys’ Mitchell Solomon said.

Young finally got on track for the Sooners, burying back-to-back 3-pointers when the Cowboys’ defense lapsed. That kicked off a 12-2 run that concluded with Brady Manek’s 3-pointer and got Kruger’s slumping bunch within 52-46 midway through the second half.

It remained nip-and-tuck until the 6-minute mark, when the Sooners missed six straight and nine of 10 from the floor. Brandon Averette began getting loose near the basket for layups, Carroll added a jumper and Tavarius Shine’s basket made it 64-53 and forced Kruger to call timeout.

The Sooners’ Jamuni McNeace was called for a flagrant foul moments later, and McGriff and Solomon buried four straight free throws, effectively putting the game away.

“Proud of these guys,” Boynton said. “They fought a lot of noise all season and to be playing this way at this point in the season shows a lot of character.”

Texas 68, Iowa State 64

Dylan Osetkowski provided the points, Jericho Sims pulled down the rebounds and Kerwin Roach was the glue that held Texas together during its tournament win over Iowa State.

Which was altogether fitting, considering glue wound up holding Roach’s tooth together.

The veteran guard took a wicked elbow to his mouth midway through the first half Wednesday night, sending half of his front tooth skittering across the floor. He got it glued together at halftime, came back to make some crucial plays down the stretch, and ultimately helped the seventh-seeded Longhorns to a victory over the Cyclones.

“I had braces for a while and I thought all that money had gone to waste,” said Roach, who had nine points, six rebounds and seven assists. “It didn’t even hurt at the time. I just felt wind going through my mouth more than normal, and I looked down and saw a tooth at the free-throw line.

“I was like, ‘Ah, snap, I lost a tooth!’”

Better than losing an important game for his team’s NCAA Tournament hopes.

Osetkowski had 20 points, Sims had 15 boards and Jase Fabres added 12 points for the Longhorns (19-13), who advanced to play second-seeded Texas Tech in Thursday’s quarterfinals.

“We knew it was going to be a fight for 40 minutes tonight,” Osetkowski said. “We wanted to focus on this one and I think the guys did a good job of it.”

The Cyclones (13-18) forged a 58-all tie on a basket by Zoran Talley Jr. with 5 minutes left, but Matt Coleman started a run of six straight points that gave Texas a cushion. Coleman then scored again with 43.1 seconds left, giving the Longhorns a 68-64 advantage in the back-and-forth affair.

Lindell Wigginton turned the ball over on the Cyclones’ next possession, ending any comeback.

Wigginton finished with 20 points and eight boards for Iowa State, but he also committed nine turnovers against two assists. Cameron Lard had 14 points and Talley had 12 points and nine rebounds.

“It’s always a tough game when it’s the last game and you have no postseason in front of us,” Cyclones coach Steve Prohm. “We have to work so we aren’t in this position next year.”

The Cyclones, winners of three of the past four Big 12 Tournaments, looked in the opening minutes as if they had brought some of that Hilton Magic south on Interstate 35 once again. They slowly built a 28-18 lead, taking advantage of the Longhorns’ cold outside shooting.

The game turned when Roach — missing half that tooth — returned to the floor. The Longhorns ripped off a 16-3 charge into halftime, where Roach had his tooth glued back together, and pushed the run to 22-3 early in the second half before the Cyclones finally got into a rhythm.

When they did, they relied on Wigginton on the outside and Lard on the inside, clawing their way back from a 40-31 deficit with a big run of their own that got a crowd full of red on its feet.

The Longhorns kept answering down the stretch, though, not only advancing to the quarterfinals but giving their rather shaky NCAA Tournament resume a chance to keep improving.

“We’ve been in so many close games, seven overtime games — a lot of close games that ended in regulation as well,” Longhorns coach Shaka Smart said. “We tell our guys down the stretch, in a six-minute game, if you’re solid on defense, take care of the ball and make your free throws it gives you a chance to win. We did enough of that.”


Colorado 97, Arizona St. 85

Tad Boyle ran out onto the floor to break up a late-game scuffle and came back limping. The Colorado coach initially thought he might have torn his Achilles’ tendon, though the team doctor believes it to be a calf injury.

Whatever it is, Boyle will deal with it. His Buffaloes are moving on in the Pac-12 tournament after hurting Arizona State’s NCAA Tournament hopes, and that’s all that matters.

“I felt like I got shot in the calf,” Boyle said following Colorado’s victory over Arizona State. “I hope it’s not my Achilles. It’s a tough blow, tough one. I’ll take it. I’ll sacrifice my Achilles for the win, though.”

Led by talented freshman point guard McKinley Wright IV, the Buffaloes (17-14) shot their way past Arizona State and put a dent in the Sun Devils’ NCAA Tournament chances.

Wright nearly had a triple-double, finishing with 20 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds. Colorado made 13 of 21 from 3-point range and took control of a close game with a 15-1 run midway through the second half.

The Buffaloes shot 54 percent overall and made 18 of 20 free throws to earn a spot in Thursday’s quarterfinals against No. 15 Arizona.

“We didn’t want to lose our first game and be back in class Thursday morning,” said Colorado’s George King, who had 12 points. “We like it out here in Vegas, so hopefully we can get three more.”

Arizona State (20-11) had a pair of long stretches without a field goal in the second half and went 12 for 21 from the free throw line to lose a game it needed to win.

Remy Martin had 20 points to lead the Sun Devils, who may have an anxious Selection Sunday after being ousted so early in the Pac-12 tournament.

“I felt like we were in the tournament coming into this game regardless of the outcome,” Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley said. “We were the last undefeated team in college basketball. We went and played high level opponents on the road and on neutrals.”

Arizona State came to Vegas still in decent NCAA Tournament shape. The Sun Devils went undefeated in nonconference (12-0), with resume-boosting wins at Kansas and neutral site over Xavier.

But Arizona State labored through the Pac-12 season to finish tied for eighth with Colorado, so a first-round tournament loss would make the Sun Devils sweat a little on Selection Sunday.

Arizona State and Colorado split the regular-season series. The Buffaloes had a 90-81 overtime win in Boulder and the Sun Devils won 80-66 in Tempe.

Round three was a 3-point shooting contest in the first half.

Colorado made 7 of 11 from behind the arc and closed with an 8-0 run to lead 41-37. Arizona State hit 6 of 14.

Colorado kept making 3s, hitting 5 of their first 6, and went on a 15-1 run to go up 71-61. The Buffaloes kept hitting shots and scoreless stretches of five and four minutes kept the Sun Devils from making up ground.

Colorado was crisp on offense, thanks to Wright’s leadership, and tightened down defensively during its big run to earn a shot at top-seeded Arizona.

Arizona State had too many breakdowns on defense and too many missed free throws to assure itself of an NCAA Tournament berth.

The Sun Devils tried fouling to try making up ground in the closing minutes, but the Buffaloes kept making free throws, so they backed off. With the shot clock winding down and under 10 seconds on the game clock, Wright threw an alley-oop to Tyler Bey, who was not defended by Arizona State.

Sun Devils senior guard Tra Holder took offense to the play and shoved Bey to the ground, setting off a scuffle that was mostly pushing and shoving. Boyle was injured and assistant coach Mike Rohn appeared to have a red mark on his forehead.

Holder, teammate De’Quon Lake and Colorado’s King all received technical fouls.

“I take full responsibility for that,” Boyle said. “We certainly weren’t trying to rub it in their face. We haven’t gone over that situation a lot and that’s my fault as a head coach. But we’d never want to take a turnover, but we don’t want to maybe throw an alley-oop lob and make somebody feel like we’re showboating.”

Oregon St. 69, Washington 66 (OT)

Drew Eubanks scored 19 points, Stephen Thompson Jr. added 14 and Oregon State outlasted Washington in overtime.

Oregon State went up 66-64 in overtime on Tres Tinkle’s two free throws and Washington tried to set up a shot to tie, but David Crisp threw the ball out of bounds. Eubanks hit 1 of 2 free throws and Crisp scored on a layup with 3.1 seconds left to pull the Huskies within two.

Tinkle hit two more free throws with 2.5 seconds left and Crisp got a good look at a tying 3-pointer, but it caromed off the back of the rim.

Oregon State (16-15) moves on to face No. 2 seed Southern California in the quarterfinals on Thursday.

Matisse Thybulle had 19 points and Noah Dickerson 15 points as Washington (20-12) saw its slim NCAA Tournament hopes disappear.

Washington made a strong NCAA Tournament push with consecutive wins over Arizona and Arizona State in early February. But the Huskies fell away from the NCAA bubble with a stretch of four losses in five games, including a double-overtime setback at Oregon State.

Washington won two of its final three games, but needed a strong run in the Pac-12 tournament to have any NCAA shot.

The third meeting of the season became a defensive battle, neither team able to find much operating room.

Oregon State made 8 of 23 shots in the first half, including 1 for 7 from the 3-point arc. Washington was slightly better, going 11 for 29 and 2 for 9 from 3 to lead 29-25.

Halftime adjustments freed up both offenses early before the defenses controlled the game again. Oregon State went nearly 6 minutes without scoring, but Washington couldn’t stretch its lead. Then the Huskies had a stretch when it went 1 for 9 and the Beavers capitalized, going on a 10-2 run to go up 55-51.

Washington likely fell short in its NCAA Tournament bid, but still won 20 games and had its biggest turnaround since 1937-38 in its first season under coach Mike Hopkins.

Oregon State found a way to grind out a victory and enhance its chances of playing in a postseason tournament.

Stanford 76, California 58

Reid Travis had 19 points and 13 rebounds, helping Stanford roll over rival California.

Stanford (18-14) shot well early to build a double-digit lead and shut the Bears down defensively to earn a spot in Thursday’s quarterfinals against fourth-seeded UCLA.

The fifth-seeded Cardinal held Cal to 28 percent shooting and had a 30-18 advantage in the paint. Travis hit 7 of 11 shots and Dorian Pickens scored 16 points.

No. 12 seed Cal (8-24) closed out a difficult first season under Wyking Jones with its seventh straight loss and 16th in 17 games.

Darius McNeill led the Bears with 19 points, making 5 of 10 from 3-point range. The rest of the Bears combined to go 2 of 15 from the arc.

Oregon 64, Washington State 62 (OT)

Payton Pritchard scored on a runner late in overtime and Kenny Wooten had a pair of blocked shots in the final 13 seconds, lifting Oregon to a victory over Washington State.

Washington State (12-19) led by three, but Troy Brown scored on a hard drive and Pritchard put Oregon (21-11) up 63-62 on his runner. After Wooten blocked Malachi Flynn's drive, Pritchard missed two free throws and Brown was fouled after grabbing an offensive rebound.

Brown made 1 of 2 to give the Ducks a final chance, but Wooten swooped in to erase Milan Acquaah's drive just before the buzzer sounded.

Oregon moves on to play No. 3 seed Utah in Thursday's quarterfinals.

Pritchard and MiKyle McIntosh had 18 points each to help Oregon rally from a dismal first half.

Flynn had 22 points and Robert Franks added 16 for Washington State.

Oregon had a 20-win regular season and a winning record in the Pac-12, yet still is considered a fringe NCAA Tournament bubble team.

The Ducks need a good run in the conference tournament, possibly all the way to the title game.

The first step there was the second game against Washington State in six days. The Cougars won that game 78-76 behind a superb all-around game by Flynn.

Oregon's push didn't get off to a very good start. The Ducks missed their first six shots and didn't score in the opening 5:15.

Oregon continued to clang — 4 for 15 — and Washington State started to find the range after a slow start, building a 10-point lead.

The Cougars lost the range after that, going scoreless over the final 4:16 to allow the Ducks to keep within 24-17 at halftime despite shooting 7 of 24.

Oregon's struggles carried into the second half. The Ducks opened 2 for 11 from the floor and trailed by 11 in the early going.

Oregon kept the Cougars within reach behind its defense — more than 4 scoreless minutes — and pulled within 34-33 after going on a 12-2 run.


South Carolina 85, Mississippi 84

Chris Silva had 21 points and 11 rebounds, and South Carolina rallied from five points down in the second half to defeat Mississippi.

Silva was one of five players to score in double figures for the 11th-seeded Gamecocks (17-15), who likely need to win the tournament to have any hope of earning a berth to the NCAA Tournament — where they reached the Final Four last season. The 6-foot-9 sophomore was only 4 of 14 from the field, but he set career highs in free throw makes (13) and attempts (20).

Silva attempted 16 of his career-high 20 free throw attempts in the second half, scoring the first five points of the half from the line and helping the Gamecocks withstand the early second-half run from the Rebels. The senior entered the game fourth nationally in free-throw attempts on the season, and he topped his previous bests in both makes (11) and attempts (14) — both which came in the loss to Ole Miss on Dec. 31.

Frank Booker also scored 21 points for South Carolina, and Justin Minaya had 16. Maik Kotsar added 14 points and Wesley Myers 10 in the win for the Gamecocks, who advance to face No. 6 seed Arkansas on Thursday.

Breein Tyree scored 18 points to lead the 14th-seeded Rebels (12-20), who lost for the 11th time in their last 12 games to end the season. Terence Davis added 16 points, while Bruce Stevens had 15 and Deandre Burnett 13 for Ole Miss.

Booker put South Carolina up 85-81 with a free throw with 13.4 seconds remaining. Stevens answered with a 3-pointer on the other end for the Rebels, but it came at the buzzer.

South Carolina led by as many as nine points midway through the first half. However, the Rebels closed the half with a flourish — with Davis hitting a baseline jumper as time expired to pull Ole Miss within 38-36 at halftime. They carried that momentum into the second half and led 61-58 before South Carolina took control with a 16-4 run and held on in the closing seconds.

The Rebels were playing their fifth game without former coach Andy Kennedy, who made his earlier resignation effective immediately a day following a loss at Mississippi State on Feb. 18. After responding with an overtime win over Missouri the game following Kennedy’s departure, Ole Miss lost its final four games of the season. Despite the loss on Wednesday night, the Rebels put forth an inspired effort to build on heading into the post-Kennedy era next season.

Georgia 78, Vanderbilt 62

Yante Maten scored 25 points to lead Georgia to a 78-62 win over Vanderbilt.

Maten, the Associated Press SEC player of the year, was 9 of 12 from the field for the 12th-seeded Bulldogs (17-14). The 6-foot-8 senior has scored in double figures in all but one game this season for Georgia, which led throughout and advanced to face No. 5 seed Missouri in the second round on Thursday.

Teshaun Hightower added a career-high 13 points off the bench for the Bulldogs, and Rayshaun Hammonds had 10 in the win.

Riley LaChance scored 17 points to lead the 13th-seeded Commodores (12-20), who made 9 of 32 shots (28.1 percent) in the first half. Jeff Roberson added 16 points in the loss, and Saben Lee also finished in double figures with 12.

Texas' Kerwin Roach II and Iowa State's Cameron Lard chase a ball out of bounds during the second half of Wednesday's Big 12 tournament game in Kansas City, Mo. Texas won 68-64. (Charlie Riedel/AP Photo)
Texas' Kerwin Roach II and Iowa State's Cameron Lard chase a ball out of bounds during the second half of Wednesday's Big 12 tournament game in Kansas City, Mo. Texas won 68-64. (Charlie Riedel/AP Photo)


Loading comments...
Hide Comments