H.S. roundup: Stonington boys survive soccer scare from Waterford
Waterford — Jack Cullen converted a penalty kick with just under four minutes remaining as unbeaten Stonington survived a scare to beat Waterford 2-1 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' soccer game on Saturday.
The Bears (7-0, 4-0) overcame a 1-0 deficit, tying the game on a second-half goal off the head of Graham Johnstone on a corner kick from Jameson Magowan.
The Lancers (2-3, 2-2) had taken a 1-0 lead in the opening minute on an unassisted goal by Brent Rutchick.
In other games:
• Ethan Rose scored twice as Montville beat Killingly 3-0 in an ECC Division II game. Tyler Velazquez had two assists, Jack Varley had a goal and Jose Zuniga made two saves for Montville (3-2-1, 1-2-1).
• Giovanni Valentine scored in the 72nd minute as Fitch beat Ledyard 1-0 in an ECC Division I game. Caleb Robbins had an assist for Fitch (3-3-1, 2-2). Ledyard is 3-2, 1-2.
• St. Bernard and Plainfield played to a 2-2 tie in an ECC Division III game. Jonathan Foster had both goals for the Saints (0-5-1, 0-4-1) and teammate Martin Arvidson made nine saves.
• Harrison Anselmi scored a pair of goals as Williams School defeated St. Thomas More 10-0.
• Wheeler's Scott Pion scored twice, but the Lions lost to Griswold 5-2 in an ECC Division III game. Seth Jones and Ian Spracklin had assists and Bowen Baker made nine saves for Wheeler (1-4, 1-2).
• Camryn Werbinski sored three goals as Williams rolled to a 7-2 win over Rocky Hill (R.I.). Morgan Pill added a goal and two assists for the Blues (2-1-1) while Grace Powell, Kayla Capano and Rachel Luxton each scored a goal and Audrey Matson added an assist.
• East Lyme's Karlie Rowe had a goal and an assist as the Vikings played to a 2-2 tie with Notre Dame of Fairfield in a nonleague game. Karena Kung gave East Lyme a 2-1 lead with a goal midway through the second half but Notre Dame (2-2-2) tied the game on a penalty kick by Katarzyna Zawadzki with 1:40 left. The teams did not play overtime. Georgia Parsons had an assist and Hayley Sorrentino made nine saves for East Lyme (4-2-1).
• Stonington suffered its first loss of the season, losing to Avon 4-2 in a nonleague game. Miranda Arruda and Abby Flakus had goals, Daisy Williams had an assist and Aliza Bell made 11 saves for Stonington (4-1). Rachel Spivak scored twice for Avon, which led 2-0 at halftime.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES