Stonington rolls past Montville 35-0

Montville — Stonington’s double wing offense was nearly perfect on Friday night.

That meant trouble for Montville.

Dominating the clock with its running game, the Stonington High School football team came away with a 35-0 win in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game.

“That’s a huge part of what we do,’’ said Stonington coach A.J. Massengale. “If we’re driving and dominating time of possession, usually good things happen.’’

Kevin Ferrer ran for three touchdowns and the Bears (1-2, 1-0) rushed for 209 yards on 50 carries, with eight different players carrying the ball. Stonington only attempted three passes.

“If everyone executes, it works well,’’ Ferrer said. “The offensive line blocked really well tonight.’’

And Stonington’s defense was equally impressive, limiting Montville (2-2, 1-1) to 97 yards on offense.

In fact, Montville’s biggest gain came on its first play. Greg Clark picked up 22 yards on a reverse. That was about as good as it would get for the Indians.

Ferrer’s 1-yard touchdown run on the fourth play of the second quarter opened the scoring and Sean Bessette’s extra point gave the Bears a 7-0 lead. The score was set up on a 22-yard pass from Riley Burnside to Hayden Parrilla, which came off a deflection from teammate Jared Rudzinsky. It ended a 17-play drive that used up four minutes.

After a three-and-out by Montville, Stonington drove 62 yards on eight plays with Nate Miller scoring on a 14-yard run. But what happened in the last minute of the half changed everything.

Montville took over on its own 24 with 44 seconds left. And on the first play Stonington’s Jack Corley put a big hit on Montville quarterback Luke Hall, forcing a fumble that teammate Josh Georgetti picked up and returned nine yards to the 1. Ferrer scored on the next play and Bessette, who was 5-for-5 on extra points, made it 21-0 with 13 seconds left.

“It’s extremely difficult,’’ Montville coach Tanner Grove said of rallying against Stonington. “If we go three-and-out and then they get the ball, that offense is able to eat up seven minutes and score.’’

And that’s what Stonington did on its first possession of the second half. Ferrer’s 5-yard TD run capped an 11-play, 75-yard drive that took six minutes off the clock. Jon Curtin’s 79-yard interception return with 9:14 left in the game capped the scoring.

“Sometimes it’s hard to play great defense when you know something's coming and it still works,’’ Grove said. “It’s not just physically demoralizing, it’s more almost mentally demoralizing.’’ 


Loading comments...
Hide Comments