H.S. basketball roundup: Woodstock beats Stonington to win ECC Division II title
Woodstock — Woodstock Academy clinched the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II regular season girls' basketball title with a 40-34 win over Stonington on Friday.
Madison Brennan scored 13 points and Jamie Woods added 10 for Woodstock (15-5, 8-2).
Miranda Arruda led the Bears (12-6, 7-3) with 13 points and 14 rebounds while Kate Johnson added nine points.
In other games:
• Rosi Nicholson and Tai Pagan had 11 points apiece, leading unbeaten New London past Norwich Free Academy, 41-27, in ECC Division I action. The Whalers (19-0, 8-0) jumped out to a 10-2 lead by the end of the first quarter. Aaliyah Brittan had eight points for the Wildcats (11-9, 5-3). New London, ranked second in the latest state poll, can complete a perfect regular season on Sunday with a win over Pomperaug at home (4 p.m.)
• Molly Kelly scored nine of her team-high 13 points in the fourth quarter, lifting Bacon Academy past Montville, 44-32, in ECC Division II. Emily Meigs had 10 points and 11 rebounds while Emmiley Genua and Kara Beaupre each had nine for the Indians (5-14, 0-10).
• St. Bernard trailed by only five at halftime before watching Plainfield pull away for a 54-33 win in ECC Division III. Emily Nelson had 26 points for the Saints (8-12, 6-6) while Madison Kelley led the Panthers with 15 points.
• Griswold defeated Wheeler 30-22 in an ECC Division III game, ending the Lions' chances of qualifying for the Class S state tournament. Emma Morgan scored eight points and Molly Butremovic added 12 rebounds Wheeler (6-13, 2-10).
• Old Lyme bolted out to a 16-point halftime lead and beat Westbrook 41-15 in the Shoreline Conference. Audrey Gavin led the Wildcats (11-6, 10-6) with 16 points while Maddie Zrenda had eight and Jordan Lewis added seven.
• Bekah Sanders scored 20 points and grabbed 14 rebounds while teammate Julianna Bonilla added 10 points as Waterford downed Killingly 48-36 in an ECC Division II game. The Lancers (11-9, 6-4) held a 28-12 halftime lead.
• Samarie Delgado led the way for Grasso Tech with 17 points, three blocks and eight rebounds as the Eagles won their first game in two years, 34-28 over Vinal Tech. Morgan McNeil added 11 points for Grasso (1-16).
• Erin McBride scored eight points and Tayler Plante added six in Norwich Tech's 52-23 loss to Cheney Tech. Norwich Tech fell to 3-14.
• R.J. Parrilla scored the winning basket on a driving layup with eight seconds left, lifting Stonington past Woodstock 59-58 in ECC Division II. Zach Scott scored 18 of his 20 points in the second half for the Bears (9-9, 6-3), who rallied from a 12-point halftime deficit. Lennox Deer added 20 points, seven rebounds and four assists and hit a season-high five 3-pointers.
• John Domijan recorded a double-double (13 points, 14 rebounds), but Montville lost to Bacon Academy 48-31 in ECC Division II. The Indians (3-14, 0-9) were outscored 22-5 in the third quarter.
• Ian Spracklin scored 41 points in Wheeler's 85-67 loss to Griswold in the ECC Division III. Spracklin also tied Conor Gleason's single-game school record for 3-pointers with eight while Chris Caisse added nine for the Lions (2-15, 0-10).
• Mikey Buscetto had 17 points while Omar Rahman (13) and Eric Pinch (10) also scored in double figures for Waterford in an 86-41 win over Killingly in ECC Division II. Liam Spellman added seven points and seven rebounds for the Lancers (16-2, 9-0).
• St. Thomas More beat MacDuffie, 60-43, behind Mert Halavurte's 19 points. Ta-Jae Jenkins finished with eight points for the Chancellors.
• Evan Wagner had 19 points for Norwich Tech in a 73-47 loss to Cheney Tech.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES