High school roundup: Sutman, Burrows lead Waterford to victory
Waterford — Walker Sutman and Jared Burrows had three hits each as No. 7 Waterford beat Woodstock Academy 9-1 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball game on Saturday.
Sutman doubled, homered and scored three runs and Burrows hit three doubles and drove in four runs. Sonny Pezzello singled, doubled twice and drove in two runs, Mike Burrows doubled twice and Kyle Kobyluck was the winning pitcher for the Lancers (5-1, 2-1).
In other games:
• Doug Delacruz allowed four hits over five innings for the win as Montville beat East Lyme 11-4. Ryan Champagne and Rob Delacruz had three hits each for Montville (4-1). Chris Malcom had two hits and scored twice and Matt Malcom drove in two runs for East Lyme (5-4).
• Nick Tiziani struck out eight over six innings for the win as Bacon Academy beat Norwich Tech 5-3. Sean Baldyga had two hits for Bacon (6-1), which has won six straight. Devin Tate and Bryce Doyle had RBI singles for Norwich Tech (3-5).
• Haddam-Killingworth scored three runs in the top of the first inning and went on to beat Old Lyme 4-1 in a Shoreline Conference game. Jace Funaro singled and doubled and Liam Holloway had a double for Old Lyme (5-3, 4-3).
• Julie Vincent had four hits, including a two-run homer in the first inning, and drove in four runs as No. 10 NFA beat Westhill 13-3. Winning pitcher Bailey Comeau, who struck out nine and allowed one earned run, had two hits and drove in three runs. Hailee Schrader, Sara Cote and Brooke Gottshall each had a double for NFA (7-2).
• Alexis Michon pitched a four-inning, no-hitter as Montville beat Putnam 27-0. Maggie Wainwright had three hits and scored four runs and Abby Diamantini , Sydney Olsen and Michon had two hits each for Montville (5-2). Diamantini homered, scored three runs and drove in three runs, Olsen drove in five runs and Michon doubled and scored three times.
• Caleb Holdridge scored two goals and had five assists as Waterford beat Valley Regional 14-5. Ryan Huta and Kyle Jacobson scored three goals each, Logan Bowdish and Michael LaForte had two goals and two assists each and Mason LaForte had a goal and an assist for Waterford (6-1).
• Zach Boyle and Tanner Diamantini scored two goals each as Montville beat Rockville 6-3. Sean Ventresca had two assists, Steve Turchetta made eight saves and Sam Kury won 10 of 13 faceoffs for Montville (3-5).
• Williams School lost to Wooster School, 18-8. Harry Anselmi scored three goals, had an assist and controlled five ground balls, Sebastian Marshall scored twice and James Knowlton had a goal and an assist for Williams (2-2).
• Hall led 7-2 at halftime and went on to beat NFA 13-5. Chris Ladyga had three goals, Rye Walencewicz scored twice and Mat Kolashuk had a goal and an assist for NFA (3-5).
• Williams School won its 17th straight game, beating Wooster School 15-1. Sophie Salgar had four goals and an assist, Audrey Matson had three goals and an assist and Lyndsey Noniewicz made seven saves for Williams (4-0).
• Kate Johnson had three goals and five assists as Stonington beat Chariho, R.I., 15-4. Hannah Lamb had five goals and an assist, Emma Sabbadini had two goals and three assists and Kathryn Logel had a goal and two assists for Stonington (4-3).
• Fitch lost to Granby, 13-9. Maggie O'Leary had four goals, Jessica Russo scored three times and Molly Bresnahan made nine saves for Fitch (3-2).
• The Williams School finishing 14th out of 17 schools in the O'Day New England Fleet Race Qualifier at Newport, R.I. Competing for the first time were Caelan Desmond who skippered in the B Division and Elizabeth Li who crewed in the A Division.
• Ledyard's Collin Wiltshire won the triple jump at Plainfield's Panther Invite at 42-0.5 and was second in the high jump at 6-0. Other Ledyard results had James Smith finishing sixth in the 100 (11.54) and the sprint medley relay team of Stanley Green, Xavier Whitmore, Jahmik Devone and Berkely Wachtmann were sixth at 4:04.64.
• Ledyard's 4x100 relay team finished second at Plainfield's Panther Invite. The team of Nadia Helme, Jade Langworthy, Abby Millbach and Sarah Serbascewicz finished in 54.03. Taking sixth places for Ledyard were Tajeah Winston (discus, 81-11), Serbascewicz (long jump, 13-9) and Karissa DeNigris (triple jump, 29.1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES