High school roundup: East Lyme boys' tennis makes it an even dozen, with 12 straight titles
Ledyard — East Lyme High school wrapped up its 12th straight division title in boys' tennis with a 6-1 win over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I match Tuesday.
Davon Chen, Eric Gu and Sumeet Kadian won singles matches for the Vikings (8-0, 7-0). Also winning were the doubles teams of Conrad French-Sujesh Kurumbal, Jonathan Tan-Guillem Colon and Ethan Stewart-Sam Gresh. Nate McCracken won as No. 1 singles for Ledyard (9-2, 4-2), beating Finn Power 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.
In other matches:
• Stonington swept singles in a 5-2 win over Woodstock Academy that wrapped up the ECC Division II title for the Bears. William Michelson, Sean Bessette, Kyle Remmert and Filip Aubrecht won their singles matches for the Bears (10-1, 5-0) along with Matt Santacroce and Ethan Simmons at No. 3 doubles.
• New London beat Norwich Free Academy 7-0 in an ECC Division I match. Zack Skrabacz, Jovahn Brown, Yoel Morel and Wesley Paulo won singles matches for the Whalers (7-6, 2-4) along with the doubles teams of Rockenson Charles-Chris Alemania and Austin Huang-Giusepe Conte.
• Fitch swept doubles play in a 5-2 win over St. Bernard. The teams of Chris Russo-Camden Celtruda, Nathan Kowalski-Ronald Pfisterer and Milan Patel-Tommy Zhu won in straight sets for Fitch (4-5), which got wins from Aidan Sullivan and Noah Kennedy in singles. Kyle Keefe and Charles Anderson won matches for St. Bernard (2-9).
• East Lyme wrapped up at least a share of the ECC Division I title with a 4-3 win over Ledyard. Shauna Kim, Mary Kathryn Taylor and Colleen Keller won singles matches for the Vikings (9-0, 7-0), who can wrap up the title with a win over Fitch on May 17. Erin Peterec and Neha Ande won at No. 1 doubles for East Lyme. Ledyard (3-6, 2-4) got wins from Lucia Ibarra at No. 4 singles and from the teams of Abby Dirico-Katy Miller and Nina Obey-Tara Opalenik.
• Old Lyme's top doubles team of Shannon Nosal and Kellie Sablone won in three sets, beating Alexis Marselli and Jess Faucette 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 and lifting the Wildcats to a 4-3 victory over Cromwell in the Shoreline Conference. Keelin Hurtt and Brynn McGlinchey won singles matches for Old Lyme and the No. 3 doubles team of Emma Danes and Lauren Wallace also earned a win.
• St. Bernard beat Windham 4-3 in an ECC Division III match. Aurianna Drinkwater and Kaila Sprecace won singles matches and the teams of Sarah Engel-Amber Caldwell and Madeline Brady-Olivia Wong also won for the Saints (3-7, 3-5).
• Waterford swept Bacon Academy 7-0 receiving singles wins from Sophie Wang, Sophie Joseph, Stacey Tasoulas and Catherine Yao. The No. 1 duo of Megan Goldschneider and Micky Green led the way in doubles for the Lancers (5-6. 2-4).
• Taina Quinones had a single and two runs scored and Megan Bergeron a double and two RBI as St. Bernard edged Wheeler 4-3 in an ECC Division III game. St. Bernard scored two runs in the first and two in the third to take a 4-1 lead. Briana Beverly had two hits and an RBI and winning pitcher Emily Nelson struck out 12 for the Saints (6-7, 4-5). Savannah Galluci had two hits and two RBI for Wheeler (2-11, 0-8).
• Fitch's Colin Fahey was the medalist with a 42 as Fitch beat Windham/Parish Hill 7-0. Nishant Patel, Charlie Bresnahan, Ryan Sherman and Keegan Pierce also won matches for Fitch (4-4).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES