H.S. softball: No. 5 NFA scores three in seventh to beat Griswold 3-0
Griswold — Norwich Free Academy broke a scoreless tie with three runs in the seventh, all coming with two outs, to defeat Griswold 3-0 in a high school softball game on Tuesday.
The Wildcats (8-0), ranked fifth in the latest state poll, had two outs in the seventh when Alex Burdick and Hailee Schrader drew back-to-back walks and Julie Vincent singled to load the bases.
Sarah Cote followed with a bases-clearing triple to left-center to break the deadlock and winning pitcher Bailey Comeau pitched a 1-2-3 seventh to end the game.
Comeau allowed just one hit, a bunt single with one out in the sixth, while walking one and striking out seven.
In other games:
• Caylee Parker pitched a no-hitter with nine strikeouts and Finella Smith’s RBI single scored Joe Potter for the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh inning as New London edged Windham 3-2. Ella Cook went 2-for-3 with an RBI for New London (6-4) and Anaya Vega had an RBI double. Jaelynn Potter tripled and scored for New London and Parker scored.
• Casey Flax's RBI single scored Devin Lyon with two outs in the top of the ninth inning to lift Fitch past Stonington 6-5. Karly Morales went 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI for Fitch (2-7) and Allison Georgetti had two hits and an RBI. Miranda Arruda went 3-for-4, including two doubles, with two runs for the Bears (3-4) and Phoebe Werling added two hits, a run and an RBI.
• Rachel Miller pitched a three-hitter with eight strikeouts and added two hits, including a double, and scored as Waterford blanked East Lyme 9-0. Ciana Chiappone had three hits, three runs, two stolen bases and an RBI, Madison Nott had two hits, including a double, and two RBI, and Gina McKittrick had a single and two RBI for the Lancers (6-3). Chloe McCue also added an RBI single and scored. The Vikings are 4-6.
• Rori Curran hit for the cycle as she had five hits, including two triples, and eight RBI as Montville downed Wheeler, 29-3, in a game called after five innings due to the mercy rule. Freshman Lily Corrice pitched a complete game in her first varsity start and had two hits and four runs for Montville (8-1) and Abby Diamnatini had two hits, including a home run, and five RBI. Also, Jillian Murallo went 4-for-4, including a home run, and Alexis Michon had three hits, including a double, and five runs. Adelaide Hauptmann had two hits for the Lions (3-5).
• Platt Tech defeated Grasso Tech in a 15-0 mercy rule game in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Laiya Roderick, Noelani Jackson, Samarie Delgado and Amarie Mack each had a single for Grasso.