H.S. lacrosse roundup: Johnson leads Stonington past Fitch
Stonington — Kate Johnson had four goals and an assist and Emma Sabbadini added three goals and two assists as the Stonington girls' lacrosse team beat Fitch on Thursday, 14-11.
Megan Detwiler and Hannah Lamb both scored three times for Stonington (8-1).
Jessica Russo scored five times and Rita Sefransky had a goal and three assists for the Falcons (4-2). Maggie O’Leary added a goal and two assists and Zoe Pearse scored twice.
In other games:
• Bella Arias scored four times and Lydia Tinnerello added three goals and an assist as Old Lyme edged East Catholic, 8-7. Paige Britton had a goal and an assist for Old Lyme (6-3) and Hayden Saunders had 14 saves.
• Alexis DeLucia scored four goals and Montville defeated St. Bernard, 7-1, in Eastern Connecticut Conference Div. III. Maddie Gould scored twice, Mackenzie Ullrich once and Madeline Horkey made 10 saves for the Indians (7-1, 4-0). Carly Potts scored for the Saints (2-3, 2-2).
• Maddie Pipech and Sabrina Mitchell scored four goals apiece as Ledyard defeated Norwich Free Academy, 14-4. Cassidy Carroll and Kaitlin Flynn had three goals apiece for the Colonels (3-6). Jillian Brunelli scored twice for NFA (0-8).
• Kristen Healy had four goals as East Lyme topped Waterford, 18-4. Maya Rose had 11 saves for the Vikings (6-1) and Abigail Mountain, Anna Johnson and Megan Bauman all scored twice. Olivia Gianakos had two goals for the Lancers (4-6) and Grace Briggs and Ashley Brant each added a goal.
• Alec Spiers scored eight goals as Old Lyme defeated Cromwell, 19-5. Mike Kolesnik scored five goals and Owen Macadam had three goals and four assists for the Wildcats.
• Scott Pion and Cameron Riley scored two goals apiece as St. Bernard defeated Montville, 6-0 in ECC Div. II. Cameron Gouvia and Kyle Clement had one goal apiece for the Saints (6-2, 3-1), while Danny Schroeder made three saves. Stevie Turchetta made 19 saves for Montville (0-7, 0-5).
• Scott Galbo had three goals and two assists as East Lyme beat Fitch 17-5 in an ECC Division I game. Rob Swenson scored three times, James McCoy and Sunny Lall had two goals each, Matt Valakos had a goal and two assists and Hunter Lizza had two assists for East Lyme (6-2, 4-0). Devin Jordan and Josh Letellier had two goals each and Andy Sammons had two assists for Fitch (1-6, 1-3).
• Sebastian Marshall scored twice for Williams in a 7-4 loss Wednesday at Portsmouth Abbey. Robbie Darling had a goal and an assist and Harry Anselmi a goal for the Blues (0-4-1). Portsmouth Abbey led 3-2 at halftime.
Stories that may interest you
Stonington rallied for a pair of three-set wins to defeat Woodstock Academy 5-2 on Saturday morning and win the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' tennis championship.
Stonington's girls' tennis team isn't necessarily used to grinding out victories. Then came Saturday.
Modesty is so much a part of who he is that Norwich Free Academy track and field standout Osaretin "David" Osagie doesn't want to trouble anyone with having to learn to say his first name. It's pronounced O-cy-a-tine - the 'r' is silent.