H.S. roundup: St. Bernard girls edge New London 10-7 in ECC D-III lacrosse
Montville — Carly Potts scored five goals as St. Bernard outlasted New London 10-7 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III girls' lacrosse game on Friday.
The Saints are 3-3, 3-2.
Olivia Yard had three goals for the Whalers (2-3, 2-1) while Emilia Skrabacz and Desiree Johnson scored two goals apiece.
• East Lyme remained unbeaten with a 7-0 victory over Wheeler at Stonington Country Club. Stonington also beat the Lions, 6.5-.5, although the Vikings (7-0) and Bears (6-2) did not compete against each other (they meet on Tuesday at Old Lyme Country Club).
Stonington's Grant Hamilton and East Lyme's Evan Kluge shared medalist honors, each shooting 3-over 39s. Ben Bohmback added a 40 and Matt Orefice a 42 for the Vikings, while RJ Parilla also shot a 42 for the Bears. Bryce Reck was the lower scorer for Wheeler (1-4) with a 49.
• Scott Galbo had three goals and two assists as East Lyme beat Fitch 17-5 in an ECC Division I game on Thursday night. Rob Swenson scored three times, James McCoy and Sunny Lall had two goals each, Matt Valakos had a goal and two assists and Hunter Lizza had two assists for East Lyme (6-2, 4-0). Devin Jordan and Josh Letellier had two goals each and Andy Sammons had two assists for Fitch (1-6, 1-3).
• Kyle Egan pitched a two-hitter and struck out 12 as St. Bernard defeated Putnam 9-0 on Thursday night. Willie Kane had three hits, including a double, to lead the Saints (5-5) while Walker Baillargeon had three hits, Jake Morell hit a home run, Connor Ullrich had a single and double, and Kevin Fay had a pair of singles.
• St. Bernard lost to Windham 17-1 in an ECC Division IV game on Thursday. Ariana Guinassi had an RBI single for the Saints (1-6, 0-3).
• Waterford beat Bacon Academy 6-1 in an ECC Division II match on Thursday. Fadi Hage, Elias Picinich and Julian Perez won singles matches and the doubles teams of Kevin McEntarfer-Enzo Guarnieri, Ethan Chan-Justin Lin and Nick Posich-Gabriel Parent also won for the Lancers (2-2, 1-2).
Stories that may interest you
Bacon Academy senior Luke LaSaracina plays baseball, basketball and football for the Bobcats. Last baseball season he hit .426 with three homers and 23 RBI to earn first team All-ECC Division II honors.
A Florida coach whose high school football teams have won three straight state championships was suspended pending an investigation into "an unauthorized athletic activity" during the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Lilyana Sherbanee plays for the NFA girls' golf team and shot a personal-best round of 48 in last year's ECC championship. She'll attend UConn and major in economics.