H.S. roundup: Montville pulls out 1-0 baseball win over Waterford
Montville — Nick Calash scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the seventh inning Thursday, leading the Montville High School baseball team to a 1-0 win over Waterford.
Calash tripled to lead off the inning, one of two hits the Indians (11-2) had off losing pitcher Ryan O'Connell.
Winning pitcher Griffin Pontbriant struck out nine, allowed one hit and two baserunners the entire game. The Lancers are 10-4.
In other games:
• David Wyatt had both of Norwich Tech's hits in the Warriors' 2-1 win over Wheeler. Matt Pierce had an RBI for the Lions (3-6).
• Julie Vincent went 6-for-6 as Norwich Free Academy erupted for 32 hits in a 28-2, five-inning win over Woodstock Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I game. Hannah Daniewicz and Sophia DiCocco combined for eight hits and drove in five runs apiece for the Wildcats (10-3, 4-0), while Sara Cote had a double and home run.
• Ciana Chiappone got the 100th hit of her career in Waterford's 21-0 win over Bacon Academy in Div. II of the ECC. Chiappone hit a grand slam and drove in seven runs for the Lancers (10-3, 4-1). Maddie Burrows, Emma Marelli and Gina McKittrick also had three hits apiece and Rachel Miller allowed two hits, striking out five.
• Hannah Smith struck out 19 and also went 3-for-4 with three RBI as Norwich Tech defeated St. Bernard 10-6. Taina Quinones and Ariana Guinassi had two hits apiece for the Saints (1-8).
• Addie Hauptmann was the winning pitcher and scored four runs as Wheeler beat Ellis Tech 24-10 in a nonleague game. Julie Rudd doubled and drove in three runs and Hauptmann was 3-for-4 with an RBI for Wheeler (4-7).
• Waterford swept doubles play en route to a 6-1 win over St. Bernard in an ECC Division II match. The teams of Angela Dielli-Anika Jannatul, Nidhi Somineni-Nitya Somineni and Mia Carfi-Natalie Donahue won along with Autumn Brothers, Alli Silva and Mickey Green in singles for the Lancers (7-3, 5-0). Lauren O'Donnell won at No. 1 singles for St. Bernard (0-8, 0-5).
• Killingly swept the doubles matches to pull out a 5-2 win over Ledyard. The Colonels (5-4) picked up wins from Abby Dirico at No. 1 singles and Biana Planeta at No. 4 singles.
• Stonington swept the three doubles matches to edge East Lyme 4-3 on Wednesday in an ECC Division I match. The teams of Cassie Onorato-Amelia Caron, Chloe Morehouse-Katie Johnstone and Grace Milne-Mia Lewandowski won for the Bears (7-0, 2-0), while Maddie Hamm won the No. 1 singles match. Becca Paggioli, Shauna Kim and Yurina Shirai won for the Vikings (2-4, 0-3).
• Dan Sapozhnikov won No. 1 singles 8-0 in the Williams School's 4-3 loss to St. Thomas More. Devin Shah won No. 2 singles for the Blues and Madi Pralea won third singles. St. Andrew's downed Williams 6-1 on Wednesday. Reese Berman won at No. 1 singles for Williams.
• Ledyard's No. 1 doubles team of Fabian May and Matt Bourguignon pulled out a 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory over Westbrook's Jack Lyman and Luke Francis for the Colonels' only point in a 6-1 non-conference loss to the White Knights. Ledyard is 2-6.
• Fitch's Colin Fahey shot a 41 to earn medalist honors as the Falcons defeated Wheeler 7-0 at Stonington Country Club. Charlie Bresnahan added a 45, Nishant Patel a 46 and Drew McCormack at 47 for Fitch (7-2), while Nolan Arruda led the Lions (3-5) with a 47.
• Medalist Ryan Sadosky shot a 1-over par 36 as Waterford defeated New London 7-0 at Great Neck Country Club. Danny Torres shot 41 and Nick Hynes 42 for the Lancers (3-4-1). Andre McClain shot 48 for the Whalers (2-6).
• Norwich Tech beat host Vinal Tech 233-248 in a CTC match. Josh Schrader of Norwich Tech was the medalist with a 51 and teammate Cole Williams shot a 54.
• NFA lost to Killingly 5.5-1.5 at Norwich Golf Course. Andrew Gromko won at No. 1 for NFA (6-4) with a 44 and teammate Max Knowlton halved at No. 5 with a 46. Chris Lackner of Killingly was the medalist with a 40.
• Connor Maguire shot 4-over par 40 as Old Lyme defeated Hale Ray 170-196 in a Shoreline Conference match at Fenwick Golf Course. Peter Macadam shot 42 for the Wildcats, while Corey Drummond had a 43 Thomas Creagan shot 45.
• Wilcox Tech defeated Grasso Tech 203-252 at Pequot Golf Club. Reese Cote shot a 52 to lead the Eagles and Alex Rugh added a 57.