H.S. roundup: Montville pulls out 1-0 baseball win over Waterford
Montville — Nick Calash scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the seventh inning Thursday, leading the Montville High School baseball team to a 1-0 win over Waterford.
Calash tripled to lead off the inning, one of two hits the Indians (11-2) had off losing pitcher Ryan O'Connell.
Winning pitcher Griffin Pontbriant struck out nine, allowed one hit and two baserunners the entire game. The Lancers are 10-4.
In other games:
• David Wyatt had both of Norwich Tech's hits in the Warriors' 2-1 win over Wheeler. Matt Pierce had an RBI for the Lions (3-6).
• Julie Vincent went 6-for-6 as Norwich Free Academy erupted for 32 hits in a 28-2, five-inning win over Woodstock Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I game. Hannah Daniewicz and Sophia DiCocco combined for eight hits and drove in five runs apiece for the Wildcats (10-3, 4-0), while Sara Cote had a double and home run.
• Ciana Chiappone got the 100th hit of her career in Waterford's 21-0 win over Bacon Academy in Div. II of the ECC. Chiappone hit a grand slam and drove in seven runs for the Lancers (10-3, 4-1). Maddie Burrows, Emma Marelli and Gina McKittrick also had three hits apiece and Rachel Miller allowed two hits, striking out five.
• Hannah Smith struck out 19 and also went 3-for-4 with three RBI as Norwich Tech defeated St. Bernard 10-6. Taina Quinones and Ariana Guinassi had two hits apiece for the Saints (1-8).
• Addie Hauptmann was the winning pitcher and scored four runs as Wheeler beat Ellis Tech 24-10 in a nonleague game. Julie Rudd doubled and drove in three runs and Hauptmann was 3-for-4 with an RBI for Wheeler (4-7).
• Waterford swept doubles play en route to a 6-1 win over St. Bernard in an ECC Division II match. The teams of Angela Dielli-Anika Jannatul, Nidhi Somineni-Nitya Somineni and Mia Carfi-Natalie Donahue won along with Autumn Brothers, Alli Silva and Mickey Green in singles for the Lancers (7-3, 5-0). Lauren O'Donnell won at No. 1 singles for St. Bernard (0-8, 0-5).
• Killingly swept the doubles matches to pull out a 5-2 win over Ledyard. The Colonels (5-4) picked up wins from Abby Dirico at No. 1 singles and Biana Planeta at No. 4 singles.
• Stonington swept the three doubles matches to edge East Lyme 4-3 on Wednesday in an ECC Division I match. The teams of Cassie Onorato-Amelia Caron, Chloe Morehouse-Katie Johnstone and Grace Milne-Mia Lewandowski won for the Bears (7-0, 2-0), while Maddie Hamm won the No. 1 singles match. Becca Paggioli, Shauna Kim and Yurina Shirai won for the Vikings (2-4, 0-3).
• Dan Sapozhnikov won No. 1 singles 8-0 in the Williams School's 4-3 loss to St. Thomas More. Devin Shah won No. 2 singles for the Blues and Madi Pralea won third singles. St. Andrew's downed Williams 6-1 on Wednesday. Reese Berman won at No. 1 singles for Williams.
• Ledyard's No. 1 doubles team of Fabian May and Matt Bourguignon pulled out a 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory over Westbrook's Jack Lyman and Luke Francis for the Colonels' only point in a 6-1 non-conference loss to the White Knights. Ledyard is 2-6.
• Fitch's Colin Fahey shot a 41 to earn medalist honors as the Falcons defeated Wheeler 7-0 at Stonington Country Club. Charlie Bresnahan added a 45, Nishant Patel a 46 and Drew McCormack at 47 for Fitch (7-2), while Nolan Arruda led the Lions (3-5) with a 47.
• Medalist Ryan Sadosky shot a 1-over par 36 as Waterford defeated New London 7-0 at Great Neck Country Club. Danny Torres shot 41 and Nick Hynes 42 for the Lancers (3-4-1). Andre McClain shot 48 for the Whalers (2-6).
• Norwich Tech beat host Vinal Tech 233-248 in a CTC match. Josh Schrader of Norwich Tech was the medalist with a 51 and teammate Cole Williams shot a 54.
• NFA lost to Killingly 5.5-1.5 at Norwich Golf Course. Andrew Gromko won at No. 1 for NFA (6-4) with a 44 and teammate Max Knowlton halved at No. 5 with a 46. Chris Lackner of Killingly was the medalist with a 40.
• Connor Maguire shot 4-over par 40 as Old Lyme defeated Hale Ray 170-196 in a Shoreline Conference match at Fenwick Golf Course. Peter Macadam shot 42 for the Wildcats, while Corey Drummond had a 43 Thomas Creagan shot 45.
• Wilcox Tech defeated Grasso Tech 203-252 at Pequot Golf Club. Reese Cote shot a 52 to lead the Eagles and Alex Rugh added a 57.
Stories that may interest you
Catie Shannon and Sophia Jones put in a full day of running through their Norwich neighborhood on Monday and Tuesday. Shannon, 18, and Jones, 15, ran 24 miles in 24 hours.
Waterford senior pitcher Rachel Miller helped the Lancers win the CIAC Class M state title last season and earned all-state honors. She was also a captain for the volleyball team, which won its first ECC tournament title in the fall.
Bacon Academy senior Luke LaSaracina plays baseball, basketball and football for the Bobcats. Last baseball season he hit .426 with three homers and 23 RBI to earn first team All-ECC Division II honors.
A Florida coach whose high school football teams have won three straight state championships was suspended pending an investigation into "an unauthorized athletic activity" during the novel coronavirus pandemic.