H.S. softball: Waterford rallies to beat Stonington 6-2
Stonington — Lili Stoddard's two-run single highlighted a four-run fifth inning that helped the Waterford High School softball team defeat Stonington, 6-2, in the annual "Play for the Cure" game to benefit cancer research.
Madison Nott had three hits and two RBI and Ciana Chiappone two hits and two runs scored for the Lancers, who are 15-3 overall and 6-1 in Division II of the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
Maddy Stepski tripled and drove in a run for the Bears (9-8, 4-3) and Sarah Flakus had an RBI as well.
In other games:
• Alexis Michon earned her 13th victory of the season as Montville defeated Lyman Memorial 25-2 in an ECC Division II game. Michon, who got her 100th career hit over the weekend, 2-for-2 with a triple and four runs scored for Montville (14-2, 6-1). Jillian Murallo had two hits with a triple and Rori Curran two hits and four scored.
• Sara Cote doubled and hit a 3-run homer, leading Norwich Free Academy to a 10-4 win over East Lyme in an ECC Division I game. Bailey Comeau allowed three hits and struck out eight for NFA (12-4, 6-0). Nikki Marsh had two hits for East Lyme (8-10, 3-3).
• Ellie Hohlfelder and Allison Georgetti combined to pitch a two-hitter as Fitch beat Woodstock Academy 5-1 in an ECC Division I game. Casey Flax and Karyl Morales, who tripled, each had two hits and drove in two runs for Fitch (6-12, 3-3).
• Makenzie Jones had three hits, four runs scored and two RBI as Norwich Tech defeated Prince Tech, 19-2, in a game shortened to five innings in the Connecticut Technical Conference. The Warriors (11-5, 9-0) also defeated Goodwin Tech, 5-1, behind winning pitcher Hannah Smith and two hits from Gabby Fedus.
• Grasso Tech lost to Cheney Tech 19-11 in a CTC game. Erin Blake was 3-for-3 with a homer, double and five RBI, Keylin Robles homered and tripled, Jazmyn Lopez doubled twice and Samarie Delgado singled and doubled for Grasso (1-15).
Stories that may interest you
East Lyme erupted for 12 goals in the second half to rout Bethel 17-4 in the qualifying round of the CIAC Class M boys' lacrosse tournament on Saturday.
BASEBALL DIVISION I First team — Pitchers: Ryan O'Connell (Waterford), Nick Gallivan (NFA); Catcher: Cadin Maynard (Waterford); Infielders: Manish Rane-Castrodad (Fitch), Trystan Levesque (East Lyme), Jared...
Nolan Connolly boarded the team bus Friday afternoon with the rest of his teammates from East Lyme High School, perhaps comfortable enough to even take a few bets on the one thing he wouldn’t be doing in the Eastern Connecticut Conference tournament championship game: pitch.
The CIAC released it pairings for the upcoming baseball and softball state tournaments on Thursday morning.