H.S. tennis: Montville boys earn share of ECC Division III title
Ledyard — Montville won the first boys' tennis team championship in school history on Wednesday by defeating Ledyard 5-2 to capture at least a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III title.
The Indians (10-6, 7-1) can win the title outright if Lyman Memorial loses to St. Bernard on Thursday. If not, the two will be co-champions.
David Baukus and Ryan Gallagher won singles matches for Montville. The doubles teams of Tony Lin-Ethan Thomas and Andrew Hintz-Aaron Nonalaya both won in three sets. Montville won its fifth match by forfeit.
Ledyard got wins from Sammy Curcuro at No. 1 singles and the No. 1 doubles team of Matt Bourguignon-Fabian May. The Colonels are 2-12, 2-5.
In other matches:
• Stonington’s Jake Stiger and William Michelson didn’t lose a point as they won their respective singles matches in a 7-0 victory over Fitch. Sean Bessette and Nathan Gonzalez both won in straight sets for the Bears (13-1), who received doubles wins from the teams of Graham Johnstone and Kyle Remmert, Quinn Hamilton and Filip Aubrecht and Justin Johannsen and Jack Ramsdell. Fitch is 8-4.
• East Lyme won three of four singles matches and the first two doubles matches to defeat Waterford 5-2. Mary Kathryn Taylor, Becca Paggioli and Yurina Shirai were the singles winners for the Vikings (5-6) while Liz Beaulieu-Emily Zhu and Sophia Rogers-Caroline French teamed up to win doubles. Alli Silva won at No. 3 singles for Waterford (11-4), which also got a victory from the No. 3 doubles team of Nikki Somienini-Nitya Somienini.
• Norwich Free Academy's No. 1 doubles team of Madison Minski-Ashlyn Chmelicki rallied for a 0-6, 7-6 (4), 10-6 win to highlight the Wildcats' 7-0 win over Bacon Academy in an ECC Division IV match. Emily Eggler-Laura Danieluk and Liliana Lorenzo-Valeria Yraita also won doubles matches for NFA (8-5, 7-0), while Anna Slopak, Paige Raposa, Hanna Crary and Kaitlyn Cavanaugh added singles wins.
• Maddie Hamm, Alison Marseglia, Holly Foster and Erin Motherway won singles matches as Stonington beat Ledyard 7-0. Stonington is 13-1.
• Francesa Ledoux and Karen Gabriel won singles matches and New London swept doubles in a 5-2 win over Montville. The winning doubles duos for the Whalers (9-8) were Tajzay Green/Sharine Green, Mary Lambree/Emily Fielding and Niomi Brown/Nayeli Lozada. Rachel Liang and Sydney Kolz posted singles wins for Montville (4-10).