H.S. tennis: Montville boys earn share of ECC Division III title
Ledyard — Montville won the first boys' tennis team championship in school history on Wednesday by defeating Ledyard 5-2 to capture at least a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III title.
The Indians (10-6, 7-1) can win the title outright if Lyman Memorial loses to St. Bernard on Thursday. If not, the two will be co-champions.
David Baukus and Ryan Gallagher won singles matches for Montville. The doubles teams of Tony Lin-Ethan Thomas and Andrew Hintz-Aaron Nonalaya both won in three sets. Montville won its fifth match by forfeit.
Ledyard got wins from Sammy Curcuro at No. 1 singles and the No. 1 doubles team of Matt Bourguignon-Fabian May. The Colonels are 2-12, 2-5.
In other matches:
• Stonington’s Jake Stiger and William Michelson didn’t lose a point as they won their respective singles matches in a 7-0 victory over Fitch. Sean Bessette and Nathan Gonzalez both won in straight sets for the Bears (13-1), who received doubles wins from the teams of Graham Johnstone and Kyle Remmert, Quinn Hamilton and Filip Aubrecht and Justin Johannsen and Jack Ramsdell. Fitch is 8-4.
• East Lyme won three of four singles matches and the first two doubles matches to defeat Waterford 5-2. Mary Kathryn Taylor, Becca Paggioli and Yurina Shirai were the singles winners for the Vikings (5-6) while Liz Beaulieu-Emily Zhu and Sophia Rogers-Caroline French teamed up to win doubles. Alli Silva won at No. 3 singles for Waterford (11-4), which also got a victory from the No. 3 doubles team of Nikki Somienini-Nitya Somienini.
• Norwich Free Academy's No. 1 doubles team of Madison Minski-Ashlyn Chmelicki rallied for a 0-6, 7-6 (4), 10-6 win to highlight the Wildcats' 7-0 win over Bacon Academy in an ECC Division IV match. Emily Eggler-Laura Danieluk and Liliana Lorenzo-Valeria Yraita also won doubles matches for NFA (8-5, 7-0), while Anna Slopak, Paige Raposa, Hanna Crary and Kaitlyn Cavanaugh added singles wins.
• Maddie Hamm, Alison Marseglia, Holly Foster and Erin Motherway won singles matches as Stonington beat Ledyard 7-0. Stonington is 13-1.
• Francesa Ledoux and Karen Gabriel won singles matches and New London swept doubles in a 5-2 win over Montville. The winning doubles duos for the Whalers (9-8) were Tajzay Green/Sharine Green, Mary Lambree/Emily Fielding and Niomi Brown/Nayeli Lozada. Rachel Liang and Sydney Kolz posted singles wins for Montville (4-10).
Stories that may interest you
Bacon Academy senior Luke LaSaracina plays baseball, basketball and football for the Bobcats. Last baseball season he hit .426 with three homers and 23 RBI to earn first team All-ECC Division II honors.
A Florida coach whose high school football teams have won three straight state championships was suspended pending an investigation into "an unauthorized athletic activity" during the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Lilyana Sherbanee plays for the NFA girls' golf team and shot a personal-best round of 48 in last year's ECC championship. She'll attend UConn and major in economics.