H.S. basketball: Ledyard boys beat Woodstock in ECC D-II play
Ledyard — Dorell Cagle had 13 points and six rebounds as Ledyard defeated Woodstock Academy 60-44 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' basketball game on Friday night.
Daryl McGraw added 11 points and seven rebounds for the Colonels (5-4, 2-2), while Omar Whitmore had 10 points and Xander Hutchins had 13 rebounds.
In other games:
• Unbeaten Montville clinched a state tournament berth with a 71-62 win over Putnam in an ECC Division IV game. Bernard Hawkins had 24 points and four steals, Ethan McKinney had 16 points, five assists and four steals and Chas Terni scored 10 for the Indians (8-0, 5-0).
• Tyshawn Jackson scored 24 points as eighth-ranked and unbeaten Prince Tech broken open a six-point game in the fourth quarter and defeated East Lyme 63-47. Nate Diaz led the Vikings (4-6) with 14 points. Prince Tech is 10-0.
• Zack Dunnack scored 21 points as Lyman Memorial defeated Wheeler 49-37 in an ECC Division IV game. Scott Pion had 14 points to lead Wheeler (4-5, 1-3).
• Grasso Tech lost to Hale-Ray 85-74 in a nonleague game. Jose Hernandez had 18 points, Tyrell Dennis and Donnel Brown scored 17 each and Domonic Martinez scored 12 for Grasso (3-6).
• Fitch remained unbeaten with a 62-51 victory over Stonington in an ECC Division II game on Thursday night. The Falcons (9-0, 4-0) held a slim 24-23 halftime lead but broke the game open in the third quarter when they outscored the Bears 21-9. Kyhol Kershaw led Fitch with 21 points and eight rebounds while Ajia Brown added 13 points and 15 rebounds, Yahbriel Roman had 10 points, Adriel Atad eight assists and Yaniel Hernandez six steals. Zach Scott scored 21 points for Stonington (4-6, 2-2) while Jordan White added 11 points and Ayden Morrison scored 10.
• Milena Walker scored 15 points and had 11 rebounds as Waterford beat Plainfield 53-41. Gaby Kramer scored 11 and Natalie Lombardi had nine points for Waterford (7-4).
• Grasso Tech lost to Fishers Island 55-35 in a nonleague game. Samarie Delgado had 16 points and Sophie Byrne scored 14 for Grasso (1-9).
Stories that may interest you
Nolan Molkenthin made a go-ahead 3-pointer with 2 minutes, 8 seconds left to give the NFA boys' basketball team a 60-54 win over Xavier on Monday night and a 20-0 regular season.
Old Lyme, ranked 10th in the GameTimeCT Top 10 poll boys' basketball, celebrated Senior Night on Monday with a 70-46 victory over Cromwell to clinch at least a share of the Shoreline Conference regular-season title.
Putnam coach Mandi Hogan figured out a way for her players not to be too distracted by the fact they had the opportunity to play at Mohegan Sun Arena in the ECC tournament championship game. She didn't tell them.