H.S. roundup: Bacon volleyball team sweeps New London
New London — Kiera Stewart had 20 assists as Bacon Academy swept New London 25-22, 25-18 and 25-19 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference volleyball match on Tuesday.
Julia Baer added eight kills and Heather Marvin five for the Bobcats (4-2).
Cheryann Lubin led the Whalers (1-6) with 11 service points, five digs, two kills and an ace while Jayden Burns had nine points, nine digs, three kills and an ace, Caylee Parker added seven points, five digs, three kills and an ace and Wennonah Amar chipped in eight assists.
In other matches:
• Abby Sicuranza had 10 kills and Melanie Warren added 12 digs in Old Lyme's 3-1 loss to Haddam-Killingworth in the Shoreline Conference. Game scores were 25-19, 23-25, 25-17 and 25-19.
Girls' cross country
• Maddy Morgado captured first place to lift Old Lyme past Hale-Ray, 26-29, in Shoreline Conference action. Her winning time was 22 minutes, 16 seconds. Alyssa Spooner took third (23:25) and Ann Colangelo was fourth (23:30) for the Wildcats.
Boys' cross country
• Aidan Powers was Old Lyme's top finisher, placing fourth in 18:45, during a 20-35 Shoreline Conference loss to Hale-Ray, which swept the first three spots. Mike Kraszewski was the winner in 17:34. George Williams finished sixth in 19:42 for the Wildcats.
• Amarys Jimenez scored the game-winning goal off an assist from Ella Bousquet with 10 minutes left, lifting Waterford past Fitch 2-1 in the ECC. Maddy Myers opened the scoring for the Lancers (4-2-1) and Nicole Li added the assist while goalies Mya Rheaume and McKenzie Gregory combined for nine saves. Ashley Spreng scored for the Falcons (3-5) and Dre Ana Singleton had 13 saves.
• Kacey Cook, Magda Carpenter, Leah Comeroski, Kelsey Dunnack and Kate Anderson each scored in Lyman Memorial's 5-0 win over Windham Tech. Goalie Morgan Tartaglia made two saves to earn the shutout for the Bulldogs (4-2-1).
• Ty Stanchina scored two goals and Dante Ricci had one in Bacon Academy's 3-1 win over Waterford in an ECC match on Monday. Luke Gilbert, Aidan McLoughlin and Harry Snow each had an assist for the Bobcats while goalies Owen Burton and Ryan Claffey combined for five saves.
• East Lyme defeated Ledyard 78-74 in an ECC meet on Monday behind two first-place finishes by Nikki Hahn (200 individual medley, 2:17.34, and 100 breaststroke, 1:10.81). Grace Vlaun also won two events for the Vikings (2-0), taking first in the 200 freestyle (2:06.45) and 500 freestyle (5:41.03) while Anna Lu won the 50 freestyle (27.49). Alexandria Martinez-Garcia won the 100 freestyle and Emma Cassidy took first in the 100 backstroke for the Colonels.
Stories that may interest you
Tim King will remain head coach of the Valley Regional/Old Lyme football co-op after Regional School District No. 4 announced Monday night that it had rescinded its request that he resign.
All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.
You can support local journalism by subscribing to The Day.