H.S. boys' basketball: Balanced Fitch boys roll past Montville in ECC South
Groton — Fitch had five players score in double figures, including a triple-double by Yaniel Hernandez, during an 82-33 Eastern Connecticut Conference South Division boys' basketball victory over Montville 82-33 on Saturday.
Hernandez finished with 11 points, 10 assists and 10 steals for the Falcons (3-0) while Colin Anderson scored 14, Seamus Greaves had 12 points and eight rebounds, Kevin Saintville-Ravix had 11 points, five steals and seven rebounds and Chris Kershaw had 10 points and six rebounds. Bernard Hawkins and Isaiah Gallagher scored six each for Montville (1-2).
In other games:
• Marshall Gada scored 21 points to lead East Lyme to a 62-58 win over Bacon Academy in the ECC South. Chris Carpenteri had 14 points, Will Anglin scored 12 and Matt Valakos made a free throw with 16 seconds left to seal the win for the Vikings (2-1). James Anderson had 22 points and Patrick Mawhiney scored 15 for Bacon (0-3).
• Walker Baillargeon scored 19 points as St. Bernard beat Ledyard 63-41 in the ECC South. Tyson Wheeler (14), Cedrick Similein (13) and Frank Pacheco (11) also scored in double figures for the Saints (1-1). Dorell Cagle led the Colonels (0-3) with 10 points.
• Jared Martin scored 22 points, including four 3-pointers as Norwich Free Academy defeated Stonington 78-41 in the ECC South. Max Pierre Lewis added 12 points for the Wildcats (2-1) while Jayden Francis finished with 11 and Ryan Outlow 10. Cam Hinchey scored 12 points and Dorian White 10 for the Bears (0-2).
• Grasso Tech outscored Ellis Tech 19-7 in the second quarter and went on to win the Connecticut Technical Conference East Division game 48-35. Jose Hernandez had nine points and nine rebounds and Jaivon Velez scored 10 for Grasso (3-1).
• Lucas Strain led Griswold with 14 points as the Wolverines beat Putnam 51-44 in the ECC North. Tyler Green and Gavin Demicco scored nine each and Kyle Roode had 11 rebounds for Griswold (1-1). Colby Livingston scored 23 for Putnam (1-1).
• Yianni Baribeau had 14 points and 15 rebounds to lead Killingly to a 46-39 win over Lyman Memorial in the ECC North. Jaiden Lopez led Lyman (0-1) with 20 points and six rebounds while Dylan Lucey added 11 points.
Stories that may interest you
The Old Lyme boys' basketball team beat North Branford on Thursday, 58-51, in front of a fans — the families of Colbe Andrews and Sam Koenigs were allowed in Old Lyme's gym for Senior Night.
The Norwich Free Academy girls' basketball team began its first full day as the top-ranked team in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register poll by routing Waterford, 54-23.
Legislators in more than 20 states have introduced bills this year that would ban transgender girls from competing on girls’ sports teams in public high schools
All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.
You can support local journalism by subscribing to The Day.