H.S. cross country: Fitch girls open by sweeping tri-meet
Groton — Sivia Chen and Ava Kennedy finished in the top three Tuesday as the Fitch High School girls' cross country team defeated Waterford (27-28) and Montville (23-35) in a tri-meet at Haley Farm State Park.
It was the first race for all three schools.
Madison LaForte and Abby Maynard finished fourth and fifth respectively to lead the Lancers past Montville 23-35.
Maya Suarez of Montville was the overall winner.
In other meets:
• Wheeler took the top three spots in a six-person Eastern Connecticut Conference Division IV race against Plainfield. There was no score kept due to lack of runners. Lucy Smith won with a time of 26:20, Carissa Browne was second in 29:38 and Rose Tardiff finished third in 29:40.
• Lilian Turner finished second overall and led St. Bernard to wins of 15-50 over Lyman Memorial and Griswold 19-40 in Div. III of the ECC. Helen Blakeslee of Lyman was the overall winner while Kendall Larkin was Griswold's top finisher.
• East Lyme swept a quad-meet at Rocky Neck State Park with wins over Woodstock Academy (20-37) in ECC Division I, Stonington (15-50) and Windham (15-50). Woodstock also beat Stonington 15-50 while Stonington and Windham did not score. Woodstock's Linsey Arends was the top finisher in 20:46, but East Lyme took the next five spots with Izzy Paggioli second (21:58), Aranza Torres third (21:59), Kennedy Holsapple fourth (22:12), Syd Sager fifth (22:24) and Kayleigh Jensen sixth (22:54).
• East Lyme opened its season by sweeping a quad-meet at Rocky Neck State Park, defeating Woodstock (16-47) in ECC Division I, Stonington (19-44) and Windham (15-50).Stonington beat Windham (15-50) and lost to Woodstock (20-43). The Vikings' Luke Anthony won individual honors in 16:30 while Stonington's Ryan Gruczka was second in 17:21 followed by East Lyme's Sean McCauley, Brendan Fant and Nate Bergman in third, fourth and fifth, respectively.
• Plainfield took three of the top four spots and beat Wheeler 22-33 in an ECC Division IV meet. Plainfield's Jack Pothier won the race in a time of 17:27. Cameron Conway of Wheeler was third (20:35) and teammate Trevor Scarchilli was fifth (22:28).
• Overall winner Carson Riley led Fitch to wins over Waterford (21-24), Montville (22-36) and Killingly (15-50). Ben Chidley and Kaidan Chandler also finished in the top five for the Falcons. Enzo Guarnieri was fourth overall as Waterford defeated Killingly (15-50) in ECC Division II and Montville (25-34). Ranju Iyer, second overall, led Montville past Killingly (15-50).
• Lucas Strain, Michael Strain and Jacob Strain occupied the top three spots as Griswold defeated St. Bernard (15-50) and Lyman Memorial (17-44) in Div. III of the the ECC. Greyson Lemay was Lyman's top finisher while Joey Busher was the top finisher for St. Bernard.
• Nick Stavesky was the overall winner leading Grasso Tech to a 25-30 win ovver Windham Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Carmine Rodriguez and Rye Dickson finished second and third respectively for the Eagles.
Stories that may interest you
East Lyme senior stopped Ella Mazzulli scored the game-tying goal and assisted on the game-winner Wednesday as the Vikings topped Stonington 4-2 in girls' soccer.
Sam Montalto scored a pair of goals in the second half as Stonington defeated Bacon Academy 3-0 on Tuesday night in a matchup of two schools ranked in the Class M-S state boys' soccer poll.
Stonington field hockey didn't allow a shot on goal in Tuesday's 3-0 victory over East Lyme, which was a rematch of last year's ECC tournament championship game.