H.S. roundup: Drago lifts Stonington girls to win in consolation game of Westerly tourney
Westerly — Anne Drago finished with 19 points and four rebounds Thursday night for the Stonington High School girls' basketball team in a 49-16 victory over Chariho in the consolation game of the Westerly Holiday Classic.
Freshman Rory Risley added eight points and nine rebounds for Stonington (3-4) and Sophia Fernolz had seven rebounds and five steals.
In other games:
• Jada Cheung scored 13 points and Maya Hillman added eight points and 19 rebounds as Montville topped Plainfield 29-21 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III game. It was the fourth straight win for Montville (4-3 overall, 1-1 in the division).
• Lyman Memorial outscored Westbrook 13-4 in the fourth quarter to clinch a 44-36 victory in a nonleague game. Westbrook was previously unbeaten at 3-0. Kassidy LaTour had 14 points and nine rebounds for Lyman (2-3), Jenny Lopez had eight points, five assists, six rebounds and four steals and Kelsey Dunnack had eight points, 11 rebounds and three steals. Jami Sacco scored 18 points for Westbrook.
• Wilton beat East Lyme 64-45 in the championship game of the Platt Christmas tournament. Riley Walsh had a game-high 24 points and Will Anglin scored 11 for East Lyme (4-2).
• Griswold lost to Berlin 63-61 on a layup at the buzzer. Griswold's Michael Strain made two free throws with 1.8 seconds left to tie the game at 61-61. Jeff Souvenance had 15 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, Evan Merchant scored 12 and Strain had 11 points for Griswold (1-1).
• Lyman Memorial lost to Westbrook 59-37 in a nonleague game. Jaiden Lopez scored a game-high 25 points for Lyman (0-4).
• Sarah Fedeli finished third on the balance beam (8.0) and tied for third in the floor exercise (8.85) in NFA's 132.5-125.2 loss to Woodstock Academy in the ECC. Taylor Markley won the all-around competition for Woodstock with a score of 36.75.
• NFA had three wins and won nine matches by forfeit in a 72-12 win over Old Lyme. Francisco Lugo Del Toro (152 pounds), Denali Doran (160) and Brenden Vine (285) had pins for NFA (2-1). Hoshena Gemme (106) and Stefan Ryer (182) had pins for Old Lyme (0-5).
• East Lyme went 2-2 at Windham's Whippet Duals. The Vikings (5-2) beat Bacon Academy 33-30 and Rockville 60-18 while losing to Windham 42-33 and Guilford 48-33. Lincoln Carlson, Mike Minevich and Brayden Soleau each went 4-0 with three pins, Nolan Morton and JJ Morse went also 4-0 and Jeremiah Irizarry was 3-0 for East Lyme.
• Bacon Academy went 0-4 at Windham's Whippet Duals. The Bobcats (5-12) lost to Guilford 66-12, Windham 69-12, East Lyme 33-30 and Rockville 30-24. Carson Brown (152) and Aaron Running (170) each went 3-0 for Bacon.
• The Eastern Connecticut Eagles lost to E.O. Smith/Tolland 4-1 on Wednesday night. Gavin Casagrande of Fitch scored the goal and Cam McCollum of East Lyme had 22 saves for the Eagles (2-3). Dylan Relaz of Norwich Tech and Drew Sager of East Lyme had assists. Relaz has recorded at least one point in all five games this season.
Stories that may interest you
Playing without Serenity Lancaster in the post, New London held on for a 47-32 victory over East Lyme, highlighted by a 15-0 run in the second quarter which yielded a 30-9 lead.
Bacon Academy, finally healthy, defeated Griswold 50-44 in a boys' basketball game on Tuesday night.
St. Bernard needed overtime to remain unbeaten, pulling out an 84-74 boys' basketball victory over Stonington on Tuesday night.
Stephen Smith, the head softball coach at Windham Tech in 2021, will take over the same role at Ledyard High School, athletic director Jim Buonocore announced on Tuesday.