H.S. basketball: Saints pull out 84-74 OT win over Stonington to remain unbeaten
Montville — St. Bernard needed overtime to remain unbeaten, pulling out an 84-74 boys' basketball victory over Stonington on Tuesday night.
The game was tied 67-67 after regulation, but the Saints (9-0) took control in the extra five minutes, outscoring the Bears 17-7.
Cedric Similien scored 21 points to lead a balance St. Bernard attack while Amare Marshall added 20, Tyson Wheeler 15, Amyre Gray 12 and Odin Malz eight.
Dorian White scored a game-high 34 points for Stonington (4-3) while Cam Hinchey finished with 20 and Nate Cyr had 15.
In other games:
• New Britain ended New London's seven-game winning streak with a 45-44 overtime win over the Whalers at Conway Gym. The Whalers (7-2) played without injured senior and leading scorer Rhodia Perry.
Da'Shaun Phillips missed a 3-pointer in the final seconds of overtime with a chance to win the game for New London. He finished with 20 points for the Whalers, fellow freshman Savahn Warren added 11 and Anthony Martinez scored eight.
• Anthony Barbuto had a double-double — 25 points and 13 rebounds — as Montville cruised to a 79-54 non-conference win over Grasso Tech. Chas Terni added 23 points for the Indians (2-5) while Lebron Maurice had 16 points, eight assists and four steals. Julius Goode scored 17 points for Grasso Tech (4-5).
• Sean O'Connell had 17 points and 14 rebounds as Waterford beat Plainfield 49-43. Evan Piotrowski scored 13 points, Nolan Gollsneider had eight points and six rebounds and Juan Morel blocked six shots for Waterford (7-3). Tyler Nordstrom had 16 points and Ryan Weldy scored 11 for Plainfield.
• Braeden LeBeau scored 22 points to lead North Branford to a 52-34 win over Old Lyme in a Shoreline Conference game. Freshman Kathleen Walsh led Old Lyme (4-4, 2-4) with 13 points and Keana Criscuolo had 19 points for North Branford.
• Marissa Nudd scored 21 points to lead Bacon Academy to a 62-32 win over Stonington. Valerie Luizzi had 16 points and five assists, Ashley Lizotte scored 10 points and Liz Glover had seven rebounds for Bacon (9-1). Gabby Dimock had 14 points and 11 rebounds and Presley Smith had nine rebounds for Stonington (4-7).
Editor's Note: This version corrects the first and last name of Dorian White.
Stories that may interest you
Charlie MacPherson pitched a two-hitter with five strikeouts Tuesday as the Fitch High School baseball team blanked Old Lyme 8-0.
The Bacon Academy boys' lacrosse team clinched the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II title Tuesday with a 9-7 win over Stonington.
Carli LoPresto, Kelsea Anderson and Lola Worsdale had two hits apiece Tuesday as the Stonington High School softball team defeated Fitch 8-6, the eighth straight victory for the Bears.
The East Lyme girls' lacrosse team clinched the ECC Division I regular-season title with a 16-11 win Tuesday over Fitch, backed by the 100th career goal from junior Dani Bruno.