Mystic Outdoor Art Festival award winners announced
Mystic — The Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce has announced the winners of the 62nd annual Mystic Outdoor Art Festival, which took place Saturday and Sunday.
The awards were juried and winners were honored during a breakfast at 8 a.m. Sunday at the Mystic Museum of Art, which sponsored the meal along with Sift Bake Shop, Mystic Depot Roasters, and Grass & Bone.
The winners are as follows:
- Best in Show, presented by the Arling family: Naomi Centeno
- Green Award, presented by Mystic Aquarium: Leon Ruiz
- Robert Brackman Award for spirit of Mystic, presented by Hilton Mystic: Eric Urquhart
- Beonne Beronda Award for best work by a new artist, presented by Grover Insurance: David Poppie
- Marion Tetlow Award for best work by a local artist, presented by Block, Janney, & Sisley: Betsy Barry
- Milton Baline Award, or Founder’s Award, presented by Mohegan Sun: Kevin Duval
- Del-Bouree Bach Working Artist Award for artist who works every day at his or her craft, presented by Del-Bouree Bach: David Sieczkiewicz
- Emerging Student Artist Award, presented by Greater Mystic Chamber Foundation: Sarah Woodward
There were also award categories for different media. Winners are:
- Best of Oil Paintings, presented by Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough: Jon Smith
- Best of Acrylics, presented by Costello’s Clam Shack: Katie Fogg
- Best of Mixed Media, presented by the chamber: Richard Trincere
- Best of Illustration/Graphics, presented by R & B Apparel Plus: Paul Sellon
- Best of Pastels, presented by the chamber: Robin Frisella
- Best of Photography, presented by Pochal & Pochal Law: Gary Love
- Best of Sculpture, presented by Foxwoods: Roger DiTarando
- Best of Watercolors, presented by EG Home: Greg Stones
Additional awards, sponsored by the Katherine Forest Crafts Foundation, were granted for craftspeople working with different materials, including pottery, textiles, glass and more. Those winners are:
- Teddy Goberis Award for Excellence in Ceramics: John Cheer
- Louise Forest Gibson Prize: Jon Lee
- Mabel Kingsbury Fentress Prize: Michael Storer
- Joseph Gualtieri Prize: Forest Doyle
- Alice Clark Hubbard Prize: Dana Shishmanian
More than 230 artists participated in the festival this year, the chamber said Saturday evening in its release announcing the award winners.
For more information on the festival, contact the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce at (860) 572-9578 or visit mysticchamber.org.
Stories that may interest you
Spencer Hoagland plays the guitar as friend Gemma Sherman, both of Waterford, listens as they sit on the rock wall along Pequot Avenue in New London on Sunday.
From left, Ho Tu lays down to collect mussels as he works with daughter Mai Tu, 10, and Whung Nguyen, all of East Hartford, on Sunday at the Cini Memorial Park boat launch in East Lyme.
New London County reported another 76 cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, according to data released by Gov. Ned Lamont on Sunday afternoon.