Log In


Reset Password
  • MENU
    Local News
    Saturday, December 03, 2022

    East Lyme home builder proposes affordable housing development

    East Lyme — After being granted a request for sewage capacity in late August, a local home builder can now pursue the additional town approvals he needs to construct an 108-unit affordable housing development off North Bride Brook Road.

    Jason Pazzaglia, owner of the custom homebuilding company Pazz & Construction, LLC, was granted 35,400 gallons of daily sewage capacity from the Water and Sewer Commission after he submitted a request for the proposed development earlier this year.

    Receiving the allocation was the first of many approvals Pazzaglia will need from the town to build the development. But now that he has the allotment, he would be able to tie into a sewer line that runs by the proposed property, Utility Engineer Brad Kargl said by phone Monday.

    As of last week, Pazzaglia had not yet submitted plans for the development to the town's land use department, according to Director of Planning Gary Goeschel, and has not yet gone before planning and zoning boards, or the Inland Wetland Agency.

    Goeschel said last week he believes Pazzaglia intends to go before the Inland Wetland Agency with his plans in October.

    Pazzaglia, who is a member of the Board of Finance but is not running for re-election this year, did not return messages.

    In his application for the sewage capacity, Pazzaglia outlined plans to build 108 multi-family units on the eastern end of an approximately 20-acre property located at 90 North Bride Brook Road. The property, which sits nearby Bride Lake, abuts the southern side of Interstate 95 and the eastern side of the Rocky Neck Connector.

    In 2017, Pazzaglia purchased the property from its estate owner Edward H. Dzwilewski for $450,000.

    According to Pazz & Construction website, Pazzaglia, who grew up in East Lyme, has been in business since 2002 and specializes in building single-family homes throughout southeastern Connecticut, as well as septic system repairs, home renovations and additions, and excavations.

    “It is not clear whether he is planning to move forward with the plan, or his timeline,” said First Selectman Mark Nickerson, who also chairs the Water and Sewer Commission, by phone Thursday. “He had not communicated with me his plans in the least.”

    Nickerson noted that Pazzaglia would need to abide by new policy changes that the Water and Sewer Commission adopted in January, but which have been appealed in court by Landmark Development Group — the same developers proposing an 840-unit housing development in the Oswegatchie Hills area of town. The case is still pending.

    The policy changes, if upheld in court, dictate how long a developer can hold on to allotted sewage capacity, ensuring that developers move forward with a proposed development in a “timely manner,” Nickerson said. As part of those provisions, developers who have received a sewage allotment from the Water and Sewer Commission have approximately five years to obtain necessary land-use permits and tie in to the town’s sewer system before the allotment expires. In certain instances, a developer can apply for a time extension with the Water & Sewer Commission.

    m.biekert@theday.com

    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.