Fire causes 'considerable damage' to Waterford home
Waterford — About 2:15 a.m. Thursday, fire units were dispatched to 22 Windward Way for reports of a house fire.
Goshen Fire Chief Todd Patton said personnel put out the blaze within a half-hour. "The fire started mostly on the outside and extended on the inside to the first and second floor," he said. No one was inside when it occurred and it did not affect neighboring properties, he said.
Despite the storm Wednesday night into Thursday morning, the rain and wind had subsided at the time of the fire, Patton said. The wind resumed after the fire had been extinguished.
"We have been out all night and all day with flooding, wires down, basements full of water," Patton said. "We've been busy."
A passerby called in the fire. Patton said the blaze caused "considerable damage." He said all five Waterford fire departments responded to the scene, along with personnel from the New London Fire Department and Groton's Sub Base Fire Department.
Waterford Fire Marshal Peter Schlink could not be reached for comment.
Stories that may interest you
An Army veteran in Groton said fireworks bring him back to the battlefields in Iraq and Kuwait, while a Norwich woman is scared one of her dogs will die from a heart attack.
In southeastern Connecticut, as the popularity of at-home fireworks displays has exploded, so too have the number of noise complaints and calls to police
For the holiday, police are urging residents to "leave the fireworks to the professionals," according to Paul G. Makuc, of the Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigative Unit.