Support Local News.

At a moment of historic disruption and change with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the calls for social and racial justice and the upcoming local and national elections, there's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Rhode Island back on state's COVID-19 travel advisory

Rhode Island returned Tuesday to the list of states on Connecticut’s COVID-19 travel advisory.

Arizona, Minnesota, Nevada and Wyoming also returned to the list, bringing the total of listed states to 33. Guam and Puerto Rico also are listed.

Rhode Island previously had been on the list from Aug. 4 to 11 following an increase in its COVID-19 infection rate, which again has spiked. Travelers entering Connecticut from a state with a positive case rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average must fill out a travel form when they arrive in Connecticut, show they’ve had a negative coronavirus test or self-quarantine for 14 days from the time of their last contact within the affected state.

The requirement applies to people spending more than 24 hours in an affected state and does not include anyone staying in Connecticut for less than 24 hours. It does not apply to commuters traveling back and forth across the Connecticut-Rhode Island border, though commuters are urged to travel to their jobs and return directly home following their shifts.

To view the full list of states on the advisory, visit https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Travel.

Gov. Ned Lamont’s office reported 136 new cases of the coronavirus disease Tuesday, raising Connecticut’s cumulative total since the pandemic began to 56,160 cases. One additional death associated with the disease was reported, bringing the state’s toll to 4,496.

A total of 70 COVID-19 patients were hospitalized in the state, an increase of two since the previous day.

Totals for New London County climbed to a cumulative total of 1,709 confirmed cases and 73 probable cases. One hundred fourteen deaths in the county have been linked to the disease, including 86 in which the link was “confirmed” and 28 in which it was considered “probable.”

Both Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London and Backus Hospital in Norwich reported Tuesday that they were treating four COVID-19 patients. As recently as Friday, L+M had no cases.

During a virtual press conference Tuesday, Dr. Ajay Kumar, Hartford HealthCare’s chief clinical officer, said Hartford HealthCare’s statewide network of hospitals was seeing a particular increase in cases in the Hartford, Norwich and Willimantic areas. The network was treating a total of 32 patients, the most in several weeks, he said.

Backus is a member of the Hartford HealthCare network.

Kumar attributed the increase in cases to a growing infection rate among people in the 20-29 age range, which he said now has a rate about the same as that of the 60-69 range. Labor Day celebrations and the reopening of colleges and schools had been expected to result in more cases, he said.

b.hallenbeck@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments
Stay up to date with The Day's breaking coronavirus coverage
Sign up to receive our daily coronavirus newsletter

All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.

You can support local journalism by subscribing to The Day.


TRENDING

PODCASTS