This photo is from 1981 on opening day of Surplus Unlimited on Laurel Hill Avenue, where the Cumberland Farms is located today. The original staff of seven included the owner Joseph Matera, his son Michael, daughter Susan, and four employees. In the beginning most of their merchandise, from New England and New York, was not delivered by freight, but was personally picked up by Joseph in a van. They eventually moved to West Main Street where they are located to this day.
Ken Keeley is the author of 17 pictorial history books about Norwich, Taftville, New London, The Rose Arts Festival, Ocean Beach Park, and his latest, "The History of the Norwich Little League and Farm System, 1950-1975." His books are available at La Stella's Italian Bakery & Market in Taftville, and the Backus Hospital Gift Shop.