Local roundup: East Lyme wrap up ECC Div. I volleyball title
East Lyme — East Lyme wrapped up the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I title with a 25-18, 25-20, 25-18 win over Fitch in a volleyball match on Friday.
Lauren Imbriaco had three blocks and five kills, Jamie Stevens had 33 assists and eight digs, Mya Delesdernier had three blocks and five kills, Sydney Iannantuono had 15 kills and Madison Bell had 17 digs for East Lyme (11-5, 6-0).
"We made some position changes during the season,'' East Lyme coach Jack Biggs said. "And a lot of things are clicking for us right now.''
Biggs loaded up his schedule with matches against Guilford (twice), Newtown, Cheshire (twice), Coventry and a tournament in New York. It's paying off now.
"The girls know what really good volleyball looks like,'' Biggs said. "You want to peak at the right time.''
Karly Morales had 10 assists, Aby Hagley had nine digs and Nora Ryan had eight kills for Fitch (10-8, 5-3).
In other matches:
• Ledyard beat New London 25-18, 25-19, 25-6 in the ECC Division I match. Cynthia Petersons had nine kills and seven aces, Sela Gill had nine assists and five aces and Isabelle Hammar had five kills for the Colonels (8-10, 2-5). Madyson Robledo Ramsey had 13 digs and three kills, Marissa Parker had six kills and two blocks and Jemima Appolon had seven points for the Whalers (3-11, 0-6).
• Wheeler beat Putnam 25-10, 19-25, 25-20, 25-16 in a nonleague match. Savannah Galluci had three kills, seven aces and 26 assists, Nikki Collins had 11 kills, three aces and seven digs and Sarah Sparacklin had eight kills, two aces, seven digs and two blocks for the Lions (8-9).
• Waterford beat Montville 25-16, 25-19, 23-25, 25-21 in an ECC Division II match. Gretchen Dusza had 33 assists, Molly Kosma had 17 digs, Olivia Pacheco had five aces and Rachel Miller had seven kills for the Lancers (11-5, 3-4). Polina Boteva had 10 digs, Mackenzie Ullrich had eight assists and 11 digs and Abby Diamantini had 13 digs for the Indians (5-12, 1-6).
• Old Lyme lost to Valley Regional in a Shoreline Conference match, 25-15, 25-5, 25-14. Taylor Thompson had eight kills and Katie Reid had six assists for the Wildcats.
H.S. boys' soccer
• Joziah Gach scored two goals and had an assist as New London beat Grasso Tech 4-0 in a nonleague game. Jovahn Brown and Kesry Louis also scored for the Whalers (3-11-1).
• Jordan Guerra scored two goals as Bacon Academy beat NFA 2-1. Nathan Cherenzia scored in the 66th minute for NFA (5-8-1), with Alex Jacobik assisting. Ryan Godino made two saves for NFA.
H.S. girls' soccer
• Savannah Johnson stopped 13 shots to help Wheeler shut out Windham, 2-0, for its first win of the season. Lydia Robert and Emma Morgan each scored for the Lions (1-13-1, 1-10-0 ECC Division III), and Gracie Anderson added an assist.
• Kayla Park and Natalie Dionne each scored to help NFA beat Bacon, 2-0, and improve to 11-5. Dionne and Juliette Hogan also added assists.
• Kate Orefice won two events as ECC champion East Lyme beat Haddam-Killingworth 110-54 in a nonleague meet. Orefice won the 50-yard freestyle (27.27) and 100 freestyle (1:00.34). Grace Vlaun, Maeve Counter, Anna Johnson, Katie Keating, Hannah Yousef, Erin Munch and Taylor Gray also won events for the Vikings (11-2) and teammates Amelia Kozlowski, Lauren Real, Emma Vlaun, Delia Lin, Alissa Li and Mary Kathryn Taylor contributed to two winning relays teams.
• NFA swam to an 84-84 tie with Windsor Locks/Ellington/East Granby in a nonleague meet. Gloria Ng won the 100 individual medley and 100 breaststroke for NFA (3-6-1).
Women's college soccer
• Rachel Boohar had four saves on six shots for Coast Guard in a 2-0 loss to Clark in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference contest. Freshman Inonge Kaloustian scored a goal in each half for the Cougars (7-6-2, 2-4-2). The Bears are 8-8, 4-5.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES