Local roundup: East Lyme clinch tie for ECC Division I title; Stonington girls force winner-take-all matchup for Division II
East Lyme — Dev Ostrowski had 24 points as the East Lyme High School boys' basketball team downed Fitch 82-43 Tuesday to clinch a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I title, its first division title since 2010.
JR Gandenberger had 16 points and T.J. Horner scored 12 for East Lyme (14-1, 6-1). Luke Leonard added 11 points.
Ajia Brown, Justice Farris and Kiev Lucas all had 10 points for Fitch (3-14, 0-6).
In other games:
• Hunter Baillargeon had 20 points as St. Bernard routed Griswold 77-57 in an ECC Division III game. Stanley Maynard scored 17 and Max Lee 10 for St. Bernard (15-2, 8-1). Pharoah Curtis had 21 points for Griswold (8-7, 4-5).
• Matt Desaulnier scored 17 as Killingly beat Montville in overtime 55-49 in an ECC Division II game. Killingly (8-8, 4-4) outscored the Indians 8-2 in overtime. John Domijan had 22 points and 14 rebounds for Montville (3-12, 0-7) and Zach Southard scored 18.
• Maison Mebane had 17 points to lead Norwich Tech past Grasso Tech 76-60 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Norwich Tech is 5-11, 4-5. Luis Duran scored 11 for Grasso (0-15, 0-9).
• Kate Hall had 22 points and Stonington defeated Waterford 55-53 in overtime to force a winner-take-all matchup with Woodstock Academy on Friday night for the ECC Division II championship. Woodstock defeated Bacon Academy 44-26 Tuesday, putting Stonington and Woodstock in a first-place tie in the division at 7-2. The game will be played beginning at 7 p.m. at Woodstock. Kate Johnson added 15 points for Stonington (12-5) and Aliza Bell had nine points, 18 rebounds and six steals. The game was tied 45-45 at the end of regulation. Bekah Sanders had 16 points for Waterford (9-9, 4-4), Marilyn Childs had 14 and Julianna Bonilla 12.
• Emily Nelson had 17 points and 13 rebounds as St. Bernard beat Griswold 35-19 in an ECC Division III game and qualified for the CIAC Class S tournament. Briana Beverly had five assists and five rebounds for St. Bernard (8-11, 6-5). Bethany Ladd scored seven for Griswold (5-13, 2-9).
• Tai Pagan had 23 points, 12 in the first quarter, to go with 10 rebounds and six blocked shots as second-ranked New London defeated Weaver 68-26 to remain unbeaten. The Whalers (18-0) led 27-6 after one quarter. Celebrating their senior day, Rosi Nicholson had 10 points, 11 steals and four assists for New London and Cora Sawyer had 16 points, six rebounds and five assists. Pashan Walker had 12 points for Weaver (8-9).
• Sophie Dubreuil had 19 points and two steals as East Lyme overwhelmed Fitch 61-28 in an ECC Division I game. Nadia Tahini had 11 points and four blocks for East Lyme (12-7, 5-3) and Katie Durkee scored 12. Alyssa Virtue scored 11 for Fitch (1-16, 0-7).
• Caitlin Dooley had 16 points and Jenissa Varela scored 12 as Norwich Free Academy beat Ledyard 56-32 in an ECC Division I game. Sarah Ericson had 10 points for NFA (11-8, 5-2). Sarah Serbascewicz had nine points for Ledyard (7-11, 1-6) and Natalie Poulton scored eight.
• Killingly beat Montville 43-24 in an ECC Division II game. Killingly is 7-11, 2-7. Emmiley Genua had 13 points, 10 rebounds and four steals and Emily Meigs had 15 rebounds for Montville (5-12, 0-8). Amanda Perkins added 11 rebounds.
• Chloe LaPierre had 19 points to lead Plainfield past Wheeler 52-30 in an ECC Division III game. Plainfield is 12-6, 9-2. Sam Caster scored 14 for Wheeler (6-12, 2-9).
• Aden Lu won the 200-yard freestyle (2:10) and 500 freestyle (6:04.24) as East Lyme downed Windham/RHAM 93.2-66, in an ECC meet. Jack Zhang (100 freestyle) and Jack Mucciarone (200 individual medley) both won for East Lyme (8-2, 6-0) and teamed with Eain Goolsbey and Robert Hahn to win the 200 freestyle relay (1:41.60). Jack Lombardo, Dennis Han, Hahn and Zhang also won the 200 medley relay (1:50.37).
• Jay Lin won the 200-meter freestyle (2:18.97) and the 100 backstroke (1:15.59) and Jeff Ng took the 50 free (26.78) and 400 free (4:53.71) to lift NFA to a 104-73 victory over Waterford in the ECC. Lin and Ng also each contributed to a relay victory. Anthony Difederico (100 free) and Keith Johnson (100 breaststroke) added individual wins for NFA. Dan Estrin (200 individual medley, 100 butterfly) and Kody Dow (diving) won events for Waterford.
• New London’s Tyrel Martinez had 23 points and eight rebounds in Avery Point’s 90-87 win over Ben Franklin. Jacee Hamelin had 23 points and seven assists for Avery Point and Nick Fersch added 12 points and six rebounds.
• Kylie Caouette had 16 points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals for Conn College in its 80-51 rout of Emerson. Sami Ashton had 14 points and five assists for Conn (14-7) and Meggie Corcoran had 12 points and seven rebounds. Reserve Casey Walsh added 13 points. Sam Boyle had 12 points and six rebounds for Emerson (8-14).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES