Local roundup: Fitch freshman Zavala blanks New London in first varsity start
Groton — Freshman Ramiro Zavala pitched a five-hitter in his first varsity start as Fitch beat New London 5-0 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game on Friday.
Zavala struck out seven with no walks. Tyler Nelli went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and Calvin Jacey tripled and drove in two runs for Fitch (6-2, 1-1). Zane Mikula took the loss for the Whalers (3-4, 0-3), allowing four earned runs over four innings with seven strikeouts and two walks.
In other games:
• Sam Swap pitched a one-hitter and Zach Stevens' RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning gave Valley Regional a 3-2 win over Old Lyme in a Shoreline Conference game. Jonathan Balocca pitched a six-hitter for Old Lyme (5-2, 4-2) and teammate Ryan Ramella had the only hit.
• Ellington scored 10 runs in the top of the seventh inning and went on to beat East Lyme 13-8 in a nonleague game. Luke Leonard was 2-for-5 with a double and three RBI, Chris Malcom was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and Jared Hunt was 2-for-3 for East Lyme (5-3).
H.S. boys' tennis
• New London won its third straight match, beating Lyman Memorial 4-3. Zack Skrabacz, Yoel Morel and Rockenson Charles won their matches in straight sets for New London (4-2) along with the team of Sebastien Jean Michel-Wesly Paulo at No. 3 doubles.
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Bella Arias scored five goals as Old Lyme rolled to a 15-5 Shoreline Conference victory over Haddam-Killingworth. Daisy Colvin added four goals for the Wildcats while Lydia Tinnerello had two goals and one assist, Anna Sather scored twice, Brenna Lewis and Catherine Harrison each had one goal and goalie Emily Erne stopped eight shots.
• Sarah Galan had five goals and Molly Kelly scored four as Bacon Academy beat Ledyard 12-7. Megan Larmann had four goals for Ledyard (3-3).
• Omar Montalvo had four hits and drove in four runs as Avery Point had a pair of six-run innings en route to a 21-3 win over Holyoke Community College. Justin Keating had five hits for the Pointers while Brayden Cooney had three hits, including a home run, and five RBI and Michahi DeRosa had three RBI.
• Clark took an 11-0 lead and went on to beat Coast Guard Academy 16-1 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. Jake Behne singled, doubled and drove in the only run for the Bears (8-17, 2-12) and teammate Alex Murdoch had two hits.
• Coast Guard split a NEWMAC doubleheader with Wheaton, losing the opener 8-5 before winning the second game by the same score. Carly Hattman was 6-for-6 with three runs scored on the day for Coast Guard (21-9, 10-6). Courtney McKenna had three hits and two RBI in the first game and Kayla Sowers hit a three-run homer in the fifth inning in the second game for Coast Guard.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES