Local roundup: Montville baseball team upsets No. 3 Holy Cross 5-3
Montville — Freshman Griffin Pontbriant went the distance as Montville beat No. 3 Holy Cross 5-3 in a nonleague high school baseball game on Tuesday.
It was the first loss of the season for Holy Cross (9-1), the reigning Class S state champion.
Doug Delacruz and Rob Delacruz each had two hits and scored twice, Alex Quidgeon had two hits and drove in two runs and Pontbriant struck out six for the Indians (5-2).
In other games:
• Ken Turner pitched a three-hitter as Ledyard beat Fitch 10-4 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I game. Turner allowed no earned runs, struck out nine and didn't walk a batter. James Laconico doubled and tripled and Weston Bruce and Nathan Grabbe had two doubles each for Ledyard (3-5, 2-2). Grabbe drove in three runs and Cade Walters and Laconico had two RBI each. Manish Rane-Castrodad drove in two runs for Fitch (6-4, 1-3).
• Mitchell College swept a doubleheader from New England Collegiate Conference leader Lesley, 7-0 and 3-2, to move into first place. New London's Eddie Santiago (4-2) went the distance in game one, scattering six hits while walking one and striking out six, while Eric Marriott (2-for-3, two RBI), James Rangel (one hit, one RBI) and Jack Finnegan (3-for-4, one RBI) each hit a home run for the Mariners. The Mariners (23-7, 11-2) host Lesley (22-7, 11-3) in Thursday's series finale in New London.
• Wheeler graduate Troy Stefanski went 3-for-5, scored three runs and drove in one to help No. 20 UConn beat Holy Cross 9-6 in Worcester, Mass. P.J. Poulin pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his 10th save and Dan Rajkowski was the winning pitcher for the Huskies (23-12-1), who built a 9-3 lead and held on for their fourth win in five games.
H.S. boys' golf
• Medalist Dylan Delotte shot 38 as Killingly defeated Montville 6-1 in ECC Division II. Sam Gaboury shot 40 for the Indians (0-2, 0-1).
• Medalist Colin Fahey shot 41 and Fitch defeated New London 7-0 in an ECC Division I match at Shennecossett Golf Course. Fitch is 2-0, 1-0 and New London is 1-3, 0-2.
• Grasso Tech won the team medal point, 234-239, to beat Vinal Tech at Indian Springs Golf Course. Matthew Woodall and Reese Cote led the Eagles, each shooting 56.
• AJ McClain of New London was the medalist with a 46 as the Whalers beat Windham/Parish Hill 5-2 on Monday. Kiera Burlingame McCord and Elizanette Castillo also won their matches for New London, which won the medal point 224-225.
H.S. girls' golf
• Waterford's Caroline Petchark as the medalist with a 46 as the Lancers beat East Lyme 224-257.
• Haley Price shot a team-low 54 in Norwich Free Academy's 225-240 loss to Hand.
• Michaela Carso, Christine White, Emily Cherwin, Kelsey Williams and Ashley Czech won their singles matches to lead Norwich Tech past Grasso Tech, 6-1. The doubles teams of Hannah VanDevander and Maria Pedraza scored Grasso Tech's only point.
• Gabby Dellacono and Charlotte Johnstone won first and second singles as Stonington defeated Fitch 7-0. Makenzie Sadler and Hannah Middleton also won in singles for the Bears (5-0).
• Montville received singles wins from Man Wai Chan, Linda Chen and Layla Wu, who won by default, in a 5-2 victory over Lyman Memorial in ECC Division III. Winning doubles matches for the Indians (4-2, 3-1): Luisa Alarcon-Lori Li and Joanna Liang-Jie Yi Huang.
• William Michelson, Sean Bessette and Filip Aubrecht earned singles victories for Stonington in a 5-2 win over Fitch. Jake Stiger and Ben Anderson combined for a win at No. 1 doubles for the Bears. Noah Kennedy won his singles match for the Falcons (1-4).
• Hannah Corrigan scored her third goal of the game in overtime, as Mitchell beat Dean College 12-11 in the NECC. Francesca Pinard and Lindsey Fairbanks scored four and five goals, respectively, for the Mariners (4-7, 3-3) and goalie Gillian MacLellan made 17 saves.
• Mitchell split a non-conference doubleheader with Nichols College. The Mariners won the first game, 5-0, behind Shyla Phillips-Krick who pitched a two-hitter, striking out six and walking two. Megan Elphick of Waterford had a double and two RBI and Italia Krick added two hits and two RBI while Danielle Autieri and Kaitlin Thibodeau-Corey each had two hits for the Mariners.
In Mitchell's 8-7 loss in game two, Ledyard graduate Jessica Kuelling had three hits and two RBI for Nichols. Autieri had three hits and Laurissa Amaker added two hits and two RBI for the Mariners (12-18), who had the potential tying run on second base when the game was called with one out in the bottom of the seventh due to darkness.
College men's tennis
• Coast Guard swept the doubles and won five of six singles matches during an 8-1 win over Nichols. Tom Hackett-Jack Phillips, Kyle Fager-Chris Lansing and Mike Melampy-Adam Bahney were doubles winners for the Bears (7-4).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES