Local roundup: Mitchell's Gaboury shoots 74 to win tournament
Hingham, Mass. — Mitchell College freshman Sam Gaboury won individual medalist honors to help the Mariners to a third-place finish at the EC Saints Invitational on Thursday at the South Shore Country Club.
Gaboury, a Montville High graduate and The Day's All-Area Player of the Year during the spring, shot a 2-over-par 74, four shots better than Jacob Waldroop of Eastern Nazarene. It was the lowers scored carded by a Mitchell golfer since 2015 and Gaboury has now finished among the top five in five of the six tournaments Mitchell has entered this fall.
Nick Knisel and Michael Izzo each added 84s for the Mariners.
H.S. field hockey
• Molly Quiles and Chloe McCue had first-half goals as Waterford beat Fitch/Ledyard 2-1 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference game. Nini Yangga made four saves and Cassidy Susi had an assist for Waterford (4-3, 4-2). Zoe Pearse scored for Fitch/Ledyard (2-7, 2-5) and teammate Hailie Kesterson made four saves.
• Miranda Arruda had a goal and an assist as Stonington remained unbeaten in the ECC with a 3-0 win over Killingly. Colette Dreher and Ellie Korinek had assists for Stonington (8-0-1, 7-0).
• Hunter College handed Coast Guard Academy its fourth straight loss, defeating the Bears 25-18, 25-16 and 25-14 in New York. Bridget Boyle led the Bears (14-6) with seven kills while Maddie James added five kills and Veronica Hine had 18 digs and two aces. Hunter is 13-5.
• Albertus Magnus rallied for a 3-2 win after Mitchell won the first two games. Mitchell won 29-27 and 25-22 before Albertus (8-7) won 25-16, 25-16 and 15-8. Laurissa Amaker had 10 kills and 14 digs, Shyla Phillips-Krick had 20 digs, Ariana Carter had 11 kills and Cameron Childs had 25 assists for Mitchell (0-11).
• Montville outlasted Killingly 3-2 on Wednesday night, winning by scores of 14-25, 25-21, 25-17, 16-25 and 15-7. Mackenzie Ullrich had three kills, 12 assists, four aces and eight digs for the Indians (9-3) while Haley Kerwin added five kills and 20 digs, Abby Diamantini had 21 assists, Gabby Beal had eight digs and Ashley Rewers had six kills and six digs.
• The Connecticut Tigers have been selected as the New York-Penn League's nominatoni for Minor League Baseball's Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award for the second straight season. The award is presented annually to the minor league club or individual employed by the club for outstanding support of and engagement with the United States Armed Forces and veterans, both at the ballpart and in the community. The winner will be announced at baseball's annual Winter Meetings banquet on Dec. 9 in Las Vegas.
"It is a great honor to be selected for the second consecutive season as the New York-Penn League's nominee for this great award," Tigers general manager Dave Schermerhorn said in a release. "We take tremendous pride in our programs designed to honor and thank the men and women of the Armed Forces, especially given our close proximity to multiple military installations. We feel it is of the utmost importance to make these brave individuals feel welcomed and appreciated."
Stories that may interest you
Dave Peck, his sister Diane Peck Rothman, their uncle Tom Peck and fellow Niantic Bay member Bill Healy, who served as tactician, finished first in the 91st annual Atlantic Class National Championship regatta.
UConn announced Thursday it has scheduled four future women's basketball games against Notre Dame, extending one of the game's best collegiate rivalries.