Local roundup: No. 3 New London girls roll past Waterford
New London — Tai Pagan scored 19 points with eight rebounds, five blocked shots and seven assists as No. 3 New London beat Waterford 85-37 in a girls' basketball game on Friday night.
Freshman Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick scored a game-high 26 points with six steals, Xaryia Melendez scored 10 points and Jayden Burns had five steals for the Whalers (2-0), who outscored Waterford 28-6 in the second quarter to take a 42-20 halftime lead.
Amy Pinch led Waterford (0-2) with 10 points.
In other games:
• Kellie Nudd scored 23 points, including five 3-pointers, as Bacon Academy defeated East Lyme 52-49. Cassidy LaSaracina went 6-for-6 from the line, including two with 12.2 seconds for the Bobcats' final margin of victory as East Lyme missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer. Megan Bauman scored 14 points to lead the Vikings in their season opener while Katie Durkee added 13, including three 3-pointers. Bacon is 2-0.
• St. Bernard overcame an early 8-0 deficit to defeat Killingly 45-39. Carly Potts led the Saints (1-1), who led 15-13 after the first quarter and never trailed again, with 15 points while Sophia Boras added 12 points and Amber Caldwell finished with 12 rebounds.
• Montville jumped out to a 12-4 lead after one quarter and went on to beat Fitch 38-27. Lauren Velazquez had 14 points and Maya Hillman scored 11 for Montville (2-0). Alyssa Virtue led Fitch (0-2) with 13 points.
• Bowen Baker and Ian Spracklin had big games as Wheeler opened its season with a 49-35 non-conference win over Ellis Tech. Baker finished with 13 points, 11 rebounds, seven steals and four assists for the Lions while Spracklin finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
• Thorlea School of Canada pulled away in the second half to defeat St. Thomas More 71-50 in the Basketball Hoopfest Invitational in Springfield, Mass. The Chancellors (8-7) trailed by only a point, 33-32, at the break, but were outscored 38-18 in the second half. Joel Soriano had 12 points and six rebounds for T-More while Wayne Bristol Jr. added nine points.
Stories that may interest you
Kona Quiggle hit a two-run home run as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Vermont Lake Monsters on Tuesday night, 6-3, in a New York-Penn League game.
Nolan Kessinger (UMass) had two hits, including a grand slam in the fourth inning, to help the Mystic Schooners thump the Ocean State Waves 12-4 on Monday night in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game.