Local roundup: Waterford boys topple St. Bernard 79-63
Waterford — JJ Brennan scored 25 points as Waterford rolled to a 79-63 boys' basketball victory over St. Bernard on Tuesday night.
The game featured a matchup of last season's Eastern Connecticut Conference tournament champions (Waterford in Division I, St. Bernard in Division II).
The Lancers (2-0) took control in the first quarter when they outscored the Saints 21-6. St. Bernard (1-2) could never get the game into single digits the rest of the night.
Ryan O'Connell added 19 points, 10 rebounds and three blocked shots for Waterford while Liam Spellman added 15 points, 10 rebounds and four assists, Payton Sutman had 10 points and seven rebounds and Kenny Hill had seven assists.
Max Lee scored 21 points for the Saints while De'Andre Williams had 14, including four 3-pointers, and Zack Clark finished with 12.
In other games:
• Ken Turner and Omar Whitmore scored 10 points apiece in the fourth quarter as Ledyard outscored Xavier 21-9 over the final eight minutes to pull out a 50-39. Turner, who finished with 22 points and 15 rebounds, hit a pair of 3-pointers in the fourth for the Colonels (1-1), who trailed 30-29 after three, while Whitmore finished with 14 points and went 5-for-6 from the line in the final quarter. Seamus McGrath added seven rebounds and 10 assist for Ledyard.
• Marquis Jackson scored 24 points and had nine rebounds as Stonington beat Griswold 59-44 in an ECC Division III game. Zach Scott scored 14 points and Jacob Geary had six points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots for the Bears (2-0, 1-0).
• Roberto Carpio scored 16 points to help lead Fitch to a 71-55 win over Killingly in an ECC Division II game which was the Falcons' season opener. Ajia Brown had 12 points and Adriel Atod scored 10 for Fitch, which led 37-24 at halftime.
• Old Lyme outscored Westbrook 12-2 in the fourth quarter for a 39-29 Shoreline Conference victory. Samantha Gray scored 12 points, Emily DeRoehn had nine points, six rebounds and three steals and Britney DeRoehn had seven points and four steals for Old Lyme (2-2, 2-2).
• Newtown took a 24-16 lead after one quarter and went on to beat East Lyme 61-58 in a nonleague game. Megan Bauman led the Vikings (0-3) with 15 points and teammates Nadia Tarhini (14), Sophie Dubreuil (11) and Katie Durkee (10) also scored in double figures.
• Savannah Galluci scored 18 points as Wheeler defeated St. Bernard 36-32 in an ECC Division IV game. The Lions are 2-2, 1-1. Emily Nelson led the Saints (1-2, 0-2) with 14 points and Lindsey Clement added 11.
• Jade Redo scored 17 points as Fishers Island rolled to a 39-13 non-league win over Norwich Tech. Lucie Jules had 10 rebounds for the Warriors (1-2) while Geovonna Taitague had six steals.
• Jack Lombardo and Ryan Huang won two events each as East Lyme opened its season with a 101-81 win over Middletown in a nonleague meet. Lombardo won the 200-yard freestyle (1:55.55) and 500 freestyle (5:11.84) and Huang won the 100 freestlye (52.59) and 100 backstroke (1:00.56). Bobby Hahn, Powall Wang and Jack Zhang also won events for the Vikings and Eric Gu, Huang, Zhang and Hahn won the 200 medley relay.
• Wayne Bristol scored 17 points to lead St. Thomas More to a 90-76 win over Covenant Prep. Jair Currie had 14 points, Joel Soriano (eight rebounds) and Ghared Boyce scored 13 each and Jared Garcia had 11 points for the Chancellors (10-7).
• Mitchell College lost to Keiser in a nonleague game played in Florida, 75-71. Steffen Brunson had 20 points and nine assists for the Mariners (5-4) and teammates Domenico Santiago (12), Marvin Baker (12), Hasani Williams (10) and Waterford's Landon Peabody (10) also scored in double figures.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES