Local roundup: Leonard scores 1,000th point as East Lyme wins ECC D-I title again
East Lyme — Luke Leonard scored his 1,000th career point as East Lyme won its second straight Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' basketball championship with a 66-38 victory over Ledyard on Monday night.
The Vikings finish the regular season 14-6 overall and 5-1 in the division, one-game better than Norwich Free Academy.
Leonard's teammate and fellow senior Dev Ostrowski surpassed 2,000 career points back on Jan. 31 before suffering a season-ending foot injury two days later in a 50-40 loss to New London, East Lyme's only division defeat.
Leonard finished with 23 points, eight rebounds, six assists and six steals to lead the Vikings, who led 29-17 at halftime and outscored the Colonels (8-12, 1-5) 23-9 in the third quarter to take control 52-26 after three quarters. Nate Diaz added 13 for East Lyme while Seamus McGrath scored 10 points for Ledyard.
In other games:
• Zach Scott scored 25 points, including four 3-pointers, while adding seven rebounds as Stonington earned a share of the ECC Division III title with St. Bernard after defeating Plainfield 59-50 on the road. The Bears finish the regular season 15-5 and were 7-1 in the division along with the Saints (16-4 overall), who defeated Windham 64-53 on Monday night. Cooper Wall added 12 points for Stonington while RJ Parrilla had 10 points, eight assists and five rebounds.
• DJ Beaudet scored 17 of his game-high 26 points in the decisive third quarter as Fitch outscored Bacon Academy 25-17 to pull away for a 75-64 ECC Division II victory over the Bobcats. Beaudet made six 3-pointers for the Falcons (11-8, 5-3) while Yahbriel Roman finished with 12 points and Ajia Brown and Sean Morales scored 11 apiece. Casey Hart led Bacon with 20 points and Jordan Guerra added 17.
• Zach Southard scored 20 points and Ethan McKinney 13 as Montville ended its regular season with a 49-42 victory over Tourtellotte in ECC Division IV play. The Indians (7-13, 4-4) are seeded eighth in the upcoming ECC Division II tournament and will host at No. 9 Windham in the first round on Tuesday at 2 p.m.
• North Haven scored an empty-net goal late to put away the Eastern Connecticut Eagles 3-1. The Eagles (12-6-1) trailed 2-0 before Trent Hughson scored an unassisted goal in the power play in the third period to close the deficit to one goal. Goalie Rylin Fowler made 26 saves for the Eagles.
• Jared Garcia had 22 points and eight rebounds, but St. Thomas More was outlasted by Putnam Science 83-71 in Montville. Wayne Bristol and Nick MacDonald added 14 points and five rebounds apiece for the Chancellors (20-15) while Brendan McGuire finished with eight assists and five rebounds.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES