Local roundup: New London rolls to softball win over Lyman Memorial
New London — Jaelynn Potter had a big day at the plate, going 3-for-4 with a double, home run and four RBI as New London rolled to a 16-1, six-inning win over Lyman Memorial in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III softball game on Monday.
Winning pitcher Caylee Parker allowed four hits while striking out six and walking one for the Whalers (3-1, 1-1).
Bria Fielding contributed a single, double and two RBI while Joe Potter tripled and drove in two runs and Cassandra Roman and Finella Smith each had a hit and two RBI.
• Cameron Reynolds had a goal and three assists to highlight Ledyard/Griswold's 8-0 victory over Montville in an ECC Division II game. Ryan Kinney, Kaine Sherman and Seamus McGrath added two goals apiece and Isaiah Spaulding also scored for the Colonels (3-1, 1-0). Goalie Seth Hurt made 16 saves for Ledyard while Steve Turchetta stopped 17 shots in goal for the Indians (0-3, 0-1).
• Audrey Matson scored five goals to power Williams School past Marianapolis Prep, 15-8. Rachel Luxton and Elizabeth Merryweather each chipped in three goals, Morgan Pill had two and Ellie Fader and Anna Mae Saunders each added one. Maria Angelini made nine saves for the Blues.
• Syd Colesworthy scored five times for New Fairfield in its 19-5 win over Old Lyme. New Fairfield (2-0) is the defending CIAC Class S champion. Lydia Tinnerello had a goal and two assists, Catherine Harrison scored twice, and Bella Arias and Anna Sather both scored for Old Lyme (1-2).
• Andre McClain was the co-medalist with a 51, leading New London past Grasso Tech, 220-232, in a match at Pequot Golf Club. Grasso Tech's Reese Cote also had a 51 and Alec Rugh shot a 53. Mekhi Rodriguez had a 54 for the Whalers (1-1).
• Tom Creagan earned medalist honors with 40 as Old Lyme beat Waterford, 170-185, at Black Hall Club in its season-opening match. Peter Macadam shot a 41 and Corey Drummond had a 42 for the Wildcats. Ryan Sadosky had a team-best 44 and Caroline Petchark added a 46 for the Lancers (0-2).
• Coast Guard Academy defeated Merchant Marine Academy 9-0 on the road. Tom Hackett, Arthur Wicke, Kyle Fager, Chris Lansing, Lucas Arora and Ryan Casey posted singles wins for the Bears (5-5).
Stories that may interest you
Thursday's local sports schedule
Sam Money was 3-for-3 and with two triples, a double and two RBI for the unbeaten Ledyard softball team and fellow freshman Paige Perkins was 4-for-5 with two doubles and a triple as the Colonels beat St. Bernard 21-1 in five innings.
Defensive mistakes at inopportune times have haunted the Coast Guard Academy softball team this season. It happened again on Wednesday.