Local roundup: Spinners complete sweep of the Tigers
Norwich — The Lowell Spinners beat the Connecticut Tigers 6-5 in 10 innings in a New York-Penn League baseball game on Sunday at Dodd Stadium.
Lowell (7-2) swept the three game-series, winning a doubleheader on Saturday after a Friday night rainout. Jose King was 2-for-4 with an RBI and a double for the Tigers (3-7).
• Former Montville standout TT Bowens homered and doubled as the Mystic Schooners beat the Danbury Westerners 10-4 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Saturday night. Alex Stiegler (Yale) improved to 2-0 with the win, allowing three runs and five hits over five innings with four strikeouts and no walks. Will Lucas (UConn) was 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored for Mystic (9-2). Bowens (Central Connecticut) drove in three runs, Steve Barmakian (George Washington) homered, drove in two runs and scored twice and David Beam (East Tennessee) had two hits and scored twice.
• Greg Morgan pitched a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts as Niantic improved to 5-1 in Zone 6 with a 4-0 win over Tri-Town Blue. Jace Lillie had a RBI single and Aidan Dowling also drove in a run for Niantic.
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Rowan Mundell had three hits and drove in four runs as East Lyme beat Pawcatuck 13-4. Mundell had a triple, scored twice and stole two bases. Nathan Licitra had two hits, three RBI and scored twice, Cannon Dean had two hits and drove in three runs and Matt Bradley scored three runs and stole four bases for East Lyme. Bobby Dimock (double), Matt Castagliuolo, Nakhi Snyder and Dorian White had two hits each for Pawcatuck.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Chris Martin tripled, scored a run and drove in a run as East Lyme beat Waterford 4-2. Owen Elmer was the winning pitcher, allowing two runs over 5.1 innings with four strikeouts and two walks.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Matt Ory pitched a one-hitter as Waterford beat Pawcatuck 9-6 on Saturday. Joey Wainwright had two hits and drove in two runs for Waterford. Kyle Kessler and Ethan Torres had doubles for Pawcatuck.
District 10 LL softball (10-12)
• Abby Robinson pitched a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts as East Lyme beat Montville 11-1 on Saturday. Emma Baylor had three hits and Mattie Bairstow and Ava Roth had two hits each for East Lyme. Jada Cheung had an RBI single for Montville.
• Pawcatuck scored eight runs in the third inning to rally for a 12-10 win over Ledyard on Saturday. Elizabeth Jones had two hits and scored twice and Brianna Plew scored a run and drove in a run for Pawcatuck. Lindsey Houle was the winning pitcher. Reece Clark, who doubled, and Zoey Price had two hits each for Ledyard.
• Groton/Mystic beat East Lyme 6-5 on Saturday behind an 11-strikeout performance by Hailey Merrill. Katie MacPherson had two hits and Maerin Lyon doubled for Groton/Mystic. Emma Bayor struck out 11 and had two hits for East Lyme.
• Emilia Podeszwa hit a two-run single in the seventh inning as Waterford beat Salem/Bozrah 4-3 on Saturday. Alexa Collins struck out 15 over six innings for Waterford. Lyra DeAngelis and Paige Jessuck each had a hit and scored a run for Waterford. Zoe Maziarz singled and doubled for Salem/Bozrah as Violet Maziarz went the distance and struck out nine.
District 10 softball (8-10)
• Audra Fiano struck out 12 as Waterford beat Ledyard 19-5 on Saturday. Isabella Maraltt, Gabby Fontaine, Fiano, Elle DiBuono and Jada Collins had doubles for Waterford. Mia Starling, Faith Dalton and McKenzie Caise had hits for Ledyard.
• Anabelle Wenzel pitched a complete game with 10 strikeouts as Salem/Montville beat East Lyme 15-11 on Saturday. Almaz Sklodosky and Mia Lloyd each had three hits and scored three times for Salem/Montville. Briana Dmowski scored three runs for East Lyme.
District 10 baseball (10-12)
• Trace Morales pitched a one-hitter with 12 strikeouts as Mystic beat East Lyme 5-0 on Saturday. Griffin Pollard hit a two-run homer and finished with three RBI and Liam Joyce had two hits for Mystic. Chris Cambia had East Lyme's hit and teammate Jack Hayes went the distance on the mound.
District 10 baseball (9-11)
• East Lyme beat Lyme/Old Lyme 11-2 on Saturday. Aiden Cochrane, Ryan Cellemme, Miles Cote and Imani Rivera each had multiple hits for East Lyme. Andrew Sevigny got the win, going 4.2 innings with 10 strikeouts and allowing one hit. Oliver Wyman pitched five innings for Lyme/Old Lyme.
District 11 baseball (9-11)
• Killian Menor was the winning pitcher and had two hits as Norwich beat Jewett City 11-2 on Saturday. Wisin Hernandez had two triples and Derek Mattos had two hits for Norwich.
Stories that may interest you
With the Law School Admission Test approaching in September, Barmakian, who'll be a senior this fall, is preparing for his future. He plans to go to law school.
Jillian Fugere pitched a four-hitter with nine strikeouts as Groton/Mystic opened play in the Little League state softball tournament (ages 8-10) with a 4-1 win over Preston/Jewett City on Sunday.
Nick Harrington captured his second Norwich Invitational title, beating Josh Cameron, 3 and 1, in the final at Norwich Golf Course. He also won in 2016.