Local roundup: Kessinger's slam lifts Schooners past Waves 12-4
Groton — Nolan Kessinger (UMass) had two hits, including a grand slam in the fourth inning, to help the Mystic Schooners thump the Ocean State Waves 12-4 on Monday night in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game at Fitch.
Matthew Toke (Seton Hall) went 3-for-4 with two runs and two RBI for Mystic (10-3) and Montville’s TT Bowens (Central Connecticut) went 2-for-2, including a double, with three runs and two RBI. Trey McLoughlin (Fairfield) scattered three hits over 5.2 innings with five strikeouts, a walk and one earned run to pick up the win.
Zone 6 Junior Legion
• Aidan Ellis and Jace Lillie combined on a five-inning no-hitter as Niantic rolled to a 12-1 victor over Tri-Town Red. Ben Sartori had two hits and drove in two runs for Niantic, which broke the game open with seven-run third inning.
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Logan Avin allowed just two hits and struck out nine over six innings as Waterford blanked East Lyme 6-0 in the winner’s bracket final to advance to the district championship. Preston Tabor had two hits, Conner Rowe walked four times and Jordan Elci doubled for Waterford. Alex Roth and Thomas Peck both singled for East Lyme.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Chris Martin had a double, three RBI and scored as East Lyme scored 10 in the first innings and beat Groton, 12-0, in five innings to advance to the finals. Owen Elmer had three runs, Anthony Enos scored two runs and Drew Beckham and Blake Biggs each had a single, two RBI and a run. Ethan Moore also had a single, a run and an RBI and Chris Stevens and Nathan O’Neill combined on a four-hitter for East Lyme.
• Isaiah Anderson doubled and scored twice and Jason Hartman and Rory Pelleiter both hit RBI singles as Groton beat Ledyard 4-3 on Sunday. Gabe Morton's RBI single scored Hayden Torrisi for Ledyard and Brady Borysewicz had a nine-out save and struck out four. Derek Kennedy scored three times, Matt Scarpa hit an RBI single, and Josh Knight pitched a complete game for Ledyard.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Peter Sherwood was 3-for-3 and drove in four runs as East Lyme beat Waterford 18-12 on Sunday. Connor Tukey, who had a two-run single in the fifth inning to give East Lyme an 11-10 lead, was the winning pitcher in relief. Alex Salerno and Jaden Reyes each had three hits and Jonah Lathrop, Alex Dreyfus, Sebby DeCosta and Quinn Killoy had two hits each for East Lyme. Matt Ory had three hits for Waterford and teammates Quinn Speller and Ayden Bousquet had two hits each.
District 10 LL softball (10-12)
• Waterford advanced to the winners' bracket final of the District 10 championship round with a 15-4 victory over Salem/Bozrah. Zoe Zito allowed only two hits while striking out six over five innings for Waterford while Grace Muti had three hits and scored four runs and Zito, Emilia Podeszwa and Alex Collins added two hits apiece, Skylar Bell and Karly Sorrentino each had a hit for Salem/Bozrah.
District 10 LL softball (8-10)
• Pawcatuck defeated East Lyme 20-7 on Sunday as winning pitcher Sarah Previty struck out 12 over five innings. Madison Harvey had three hits for Pawcatuck while Mason Zagol and Previty each had two. Brianna Dmowski had an inside-the-park homer run for East Lyme.
• Groton/Mystic defeated Lyme/Old Lyme 21-0 on Sunday as Jillian Fugure allowed just one hit over four innings and struck out 11. Jaedy Steffens had three hits and five RBI to lead Groton/Mystic.
• Salem/Montville defeated East Lyme 15-11 on Saturday as winning pitcher Anabelle Wenzel recorded 10 strikeouts and Almaz Sklodosky and Mia Lloyd each and three hits and three runs. Brianna Dmowski scored three runs for East Lyme.
District 10 LL baseball (9-11)
• Waterford defeated Lyme/Old Lyme 7-6 on Sunday. Nick Ingraham and Matt Shampine had multiple hit games for Waterford while Jackson Pannier hit a three-run homer for Lyme/Old Lyme.
• Three Rivers rolled to a 22-5 victory over Groton in the ECML on Sunday night. Winning pitcher Riley Sorrentino struck out 10 over four innings for Three Rivers while Austin Gillespie went 2-for-4 and scored three runs for Groton.
Stories that may interest you
A weekly look at highlights from the region's local colleges, plus local athletes playing for colleges outside the region:
Coast Guard football coach Bill George gathered his players early Tuesday morning and told them of his intention to retire following Saturday's rivalry game against the Merchant Marine Academy.
SOCCER High School girls CIAC tournament Class LL first round No. 24 NFA at No. 9 New Canaan, 5 p.m. Class L first round No. 20 Maloney at No. 13 East Lyme, 2 p.m. (was 6...