Local roundup: Schooners rally for 3-2 win over New Bedford
Groton — Jerome Huntzinger's two-out double in the sixth inning scored Shane Kelly and broke a 2-2 tie as the Mystic Schooners rallied for a 3-2 victory over the New Bedford Baysox in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Monday night at Fitch High School.
The Schooners (11-7) trailed 2-0 early, but tied the game in the fifth on a two-run homer by Montville's TT Bowens (Central Connecticut), his seventh of the season. Bowens, Huntzinger (Seton Hall) and Vincent Martin (UMass Lowell) had two hits apiece for Mystic.
Trey McLoughlin (Fairfield) scattered five hits over seven innings to earn the win. He walked one and struck out nine before Nicholas Robino (Wagner) pitched a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts to earn the save.
Lance leads Tigers past Ironbirds
• Starter Carson Lance allowed one hit over six innings with 10 strikeouts and no walks as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Aberdeen Ironbirds, 2-0, in a New York-Penn League game. Tigers reliever Zach Hess entered the game with the bases loaded and two outs in the eighth inning and retired the next batter en route to a four-out save with no hits, three strikeouts and two walks. Cooper Johnson hit an RBI single and Jake Holton (two hits) and Eric De La Rosa both scored for the Tigers (7-10). Also, Jack Kenley also hit a sacrifice fly.
Zone 6 Legion
• Anthony Ladouceur allowed just one run over six innings as Norwich defeated Willimantic 5-1 at Dickenman Field. Kevin Pomroy scored two runs ands stole two bases for Norwich (4-6) while Ryan Trudeau had a hit and scored twice.
District 10 LL baseball (8-10)
• Mystic defeated Ledyard 22-1 on Sunday night as Matteo Panciera and Daimon Flax combined on a one-hitter and Panciera added three runs and three runs. Ayedan Quilter had the Ledyard hit.
District 10 LL softball (8-10)
• Salem/Montville defeated Pawcatuck 18-13 on Sunday night as winning pitcher Anabelle Wenzel struck out 14 and Almaz Skoldosky, Ciena Feragne and Sophia Gibson combined for seven hits and nine runs. Eliza Dufour had four this and two runs for Pawcatuck.
• Niantic beat Ledyard/Pawcatuck 10-2 in a Zone 6 game on Sunday night. Ty Chiasson drove in two runs, Marcus Orsini doubled and Greg Morgan was the winning pitcher for Niantic (8-2).
Stories that may interest you
The Connecticut Tigers were held to two hits in a 3-1 loss to the Hudson Valley Renegades in a New York-Penn League baseball game Friday night at Dodd Stadium.
Evans, a Norwich Free Academy graduate, is moving back close home after recently accepting a job as an assistant coach at Holy Cross.