Local roundup: Martin lifts Schooners past Swamp Bats 11-4
Groton — Vincent Martin drove in five runs in the first three innings to lift the Mystic Schooners to an 11-4 victory over the Keene Swamp Bats in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game at Fitch High School on Monday night.
Martin (UMass-Lowell) had a bases-clearing double in the first and two-run single in the second for the Schooners (16-8), while Jerome Huntzinger (Seton Hall) was 3-for-4 and Isaiah Byars (Alabama) had two hits and drove in three runs.
Earlier Monday, Mystic reliever Nicholas Rodino (Wagner) was named NECBL Pitcher of the Week. Rodino, a right hander, had a win and two saves in three wins last week, allowing only one hit over three innings in his three appearances while striking out six.
• The Vermont Mountaineers scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning to break a 5-5 tie and beat Mystic 6-5 on Sunday night. David Beam (East Tennessee) and Steven Barmakian (George Washington) had three hits each, Beam drove in two runs and Huntzinger and Josh Maguire (Maryland) had two hits each for the Schooners.
State Babe Ruth (15)
• Waterford remained alive in the with a 29-0, four-inning victory over North Haven in an elimination game. Will Rocchetti had three this, including a double, for Waterford while Logan Avin, Justin Saad and Bryan Wielachowski each had a single and double. Scott Olmstead (three innings) and Rocchetti (one) combined for eight strikeouts. Waterford will play Brookfield, a 6-3 winner over Amity, in another elimination game on Tuesday.
State Section 3 LL softball (10-12)
• District 10 champion defeated Glastonbury 10-0 in the opening round of the Connecticut Section 3 tournament at Pawcatuck. Alexa Collins pitched four innings with three strikeouts to earn the win while Grace Muti had three hits, including a double, to lead the offense, while Collins, Emma Way and Isabella Correa added two hits apiece.
District 10 LL softball (8-10)
• Groton/Mystic defeated Waterford 7-1 as Jillian Fugure went the distance and struck out 14. Fugere and Mallory Bogle had two hits apiece whle Audra Fiano had a hit and RBI for Waterford.
• Fugere pitched a no-hitter with nine strikeouts as Groton/Mystic defeated Salem/Montville 11-0 on Sunday night. Jaedyn Steffens had three hits for Groton/Mystic while Leilani McCoy, Bogle and Michaela Miner each had two.
District 10 LL baseball (10-12)
• Waterford defeated Groton 7-2 on Sunday night as Tito Kiefer pitched four innings while striking out nine, and Evan Bouges retired all six batters he faced with four strikeouts. Sean Kramer had two hits for Waterford, Brady Sutman had a triple and two RBI and Mason Nocery doubled. Eamonn Pelletier had two hits for Groton.
District 10 LL baseball (9-11)
• Waterford defeated Mystic 12-6 on Sunday night. Gavin Polcaro and Nick Ingraham had three hits apiece for Waterford and JP Papadopoulos and winning pitcher Matthewe Shampine added two hits each. Ethan Cabrera had two hits for Mystic while Mark McBride homered and William Haugeto doubled.
Zone 6 Junior Legion
• Ty Chiasson went 4-for-4 and drove in two runs as Niantic defeated Ledyard-Pawcatuck 11-3. Ethan Vinelli struck out seven over six innings to earn the win.
• Adam Michaud pitched a complete game and struck out five as the Three River Sonics defeated Groton 5-3 on Sunday. Marvin Gorgas had a single, home run and three RBI for the Sonics (5-1) while Jerrod Loy-Smith added two hits and Michaud had an RBI double. Matt Villa and Connor McCrea had two his apiece for Groton (0-3) and relief pitcher Axel De Jesus struck out five in 2.1 innings or relief.
Stories that may interest you
UConn announced Thursday it has scheduled four future women's basketball games against Notre Dame, extending one of the game's best collegiate rivalries.
The UConn football team has entered into an agreement with Boston College to play a home-and-home series with the Eagles, beginning in the 2022 season.