Local roundup: East Lyme boys beat Woodstock in ECC D-I soccer opener
East Lyme — East Lyme scored the final three goals to rally for a 3-2 victory over Woodstock Academy on Friday in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' soccer opener for both schools.
After the Centaurs took a 2-1 lead three minutes into the second half, Cooper Pazzaglia tied it five minutes with the first of his two goals, and Kurt Mahlke put the Vikings (2-2, 1-0) on top for just two minutes later with the second of his two goals.
Mahlke scored his first goal in the seventh minutes and Pazzaglia added the final goal with 13 minutes remaining.
Owen Brown made two saves in goal for East Lyme, which held a 19-4 edge in shots.
In other matches:
• Alex Ard had two goals and two assists as Waterford rolled to a 9-0 win over New London in ECC Division II. Nikko Zingus, Zach Fayan and Colin Palazzo each added one goal and one assist for the Lancers (2-1, 1-0) while Oli Seattle, Matias Arcelus and Jalen Cappelle had one goal apiece and Norbu Ciren was credited with an assist. New London is 0-2, 0-1.
• Tenzin Jamphel scored all four goals as St. Bernard overcame a 3-2 halftime deficit to earn a 4-4 tie with Plainfield in an ECC Division IV match. Martin Arvidson made eight saves in goal for the Saints (0-2-1, 0-0-1).
• Alfonso Villar had three goals and an assist to lead unbeaten Windham to a 4-0 victory over Montville in an ECC Division III match. The Whippets (3-0, 1-0) broke the match open with three goals in the second half. Isaiah Gallagher made eight saves in goal for the Indians (2-1, 0-1).
H.S. girls' soccer
• Sienna Ortiz scored three goals as Parish Hill defeated Wheeler 5-0 in a non-conference match. Addie Hauptmann made 18 saves in goal for the Lions (0-4).
• Old Lyme beat North Branford 2-1 in a Shoreline Conference game. Mackenzie Machnik and Maddie McCulloch scored goals for Old Lyme (3-0, 2-0).
• Karly Morales had five aces and 13 assists while Nora Ryan added five aces and 13 kills during Fitch's 25-11, 25-14, 25-10 win over Montville. Nyseannah Ishmael added eight kills for the Falcons (4-0) while Maya Hillman had five blocks and five kills for the Indians (2-2) and Anna Kreitlow finished with 10 digs.
• Emma McKenzie had 22 service points, two aces, 10 assists and five digs as Norwich Tech rolled to a 25-19, 25-17, 25-10 victory over Windham Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference Charter Oak Division. Shay Gaboury added nine kills for the Warriors (2-3, 2-1) and Lauryn Heft had eight assists.
• Ellis Tech outlasted Grasso Tech 25-22, 25-19, 24-26, 25-20 in the CTC Charter Oak Division. Sherly Caba had five aces and five kills for the Eagles while Samarie Delgado added five digs, three assists and seven kills.
• Valley Regional defeated Old Lyme 25-20, 25-19, 23-25, 25-19 in the Shoreline Conference. Maddie Cann had eight kills, three blocks and 10 digs for the Wildcats while Isabel Dean-Frazier had 10 assists and Emily Evers five kills.
• NFA stayed unbeaten with a 25-13, 25-14, 25-21 win over Plainfield. Sarah Ericson had 19 assists, Maddy Allen had five aces and 10 digs and Kennedy Jakan had 12 kills and three aces for NFA (3-0).
• Elyse Gathy and Viviana Martinez won two events apiece as Waterford defeated NFA 100-78 in the ECC. Gathy won the 400-meter freestyle (5:08.92) and 100 backstroke (1:14.50) for the Lancers (1-2, 1-1) while Martinez captured the 200 free (2:42.70) and 100 free (1;14.07.). Gloria Ng won the 200 individual medley (2:39.03) and 100 breaststroke (1:19.73) for the Wildcats (1-2, 1-1).
H.S. field hockey
• Fitch lost to Woodstock Academy 2-1 in an ECC game. Jessica Russo scored for Fitch (1-4, 0-3) with an assist from Bridget O'Leary. Hailie Kesterson made eight saves for Fitch.
College field hockey
• Freshman Sophie Hamilton scored three goals as No. 4 UConn beat Quinnipiac 5-0 in the Big East Conference. Svea Boker added a paid of goals for the Huskies (6-1, 1-0), who outshot the Bobcats 25-4.
• Connecticut College lost in New England Small College Athletic Conference opener, losing 3-1 to Tufts. Katie Howley had 13 kills and 17 digs and Grace McGee had 33 assists, six aces and four digs for Conn (4-4).
Stories that may interest you
Lynn Valentine's condominium is on the top floor overlooking the 13th tee and the 16th fairway at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla. It's fitting, as for the past 22 years Valentine has called Bear Lakes home.