Local roundup: East Lyme, Stonington field hockey forge a 1-1 tie
East Lyme — The only two field hockey teams unbeaten in the Eastern Connecticut Conference played Thursday and ... they are both still unbeaten.
East Lyme and Stonington high schools played to a 1-1 tie in a game where no overtime was played due to the ECC curfew rules over eastern equine encephalitis.
Stonington (5-2-1, 5-0-1) opened the scoring with 18 minutes left in the second half when Sandy McGugan scored on a shot that deflected off a defender. Sophie Fernholz assisted on the goal and Claire Evans made one save for the Bears.
Kristen Healy of East Lyme (6-1-1, 5-0-1) tied the game with 9:40 left. Sarah Healy assisted on the goal and Lydia Swan made two saves for the Vikings.
In other games:
• Sophia Hathaway scored four goals and had two assists as Waterford beat NFA 9-2 in an ECC game. Jess San Juan and Shannon Carter scored two goals each, Gabbi Stack had a goal and Kasey Kirchoff and Molly Quiles had two assists each for Waterford (2-6, 2-4). Jayna Neault and Ally Toppa scored goals for NFA (0-8, 0-6).
H.S. boys' soccer
• Aaron Muncaster scored three goals as Montville beat St. Bernard 5-1. Liam Cook and Morgan Whittaker also scored goals, Zak Keenan and Cesas Amaya had assists and Isaiah Gallagher made three saves for Montville (5-3). Ryan Crowe scored and Martin Arvidson made 15 saves for the Saints (2-3-2).
• Matt Pierce scored three goals and Ian Spracklin had two goals and had two assists as Wheeler beat Killingly 6-1. Scott Pion had a goal, Michael Caster had an assist and Bowen Baker made four saves for the Lions (4-3-1).
• Grasso Tech lost to Wilcox Tech 5-2 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Adam Chiocola and Kevin Vazquez scored goals and Joel Potter made 22 saves for Grasso (3-3-1).
• Norwich Tech and Goodwin Tech played to a 1-1 tie in a CTC game. Kenny McKenna scored on a penalty kick in the second half to tie the game for Norwich Tech (2-3-3), which outshot Goodwin 13-2.
• New London lost to Woodstock Academy 8-1. Wesley Paulo's first-half goal tied the game at 1-1 for New London (0-7). Paulo also scored in a 4-1 loss to Killingly on Tuesday night.
• Old Lyme tied Morgan 2-2 in a Shoreline Conference game on Wednesday. Richard Damiano had a pair of assists, Ryan Tetreault made six saves and Nevin Joshy and Michael Milazzo scored goals for Old Lyme (3-1-2, 1-1-2).
• Cheney Tech got past Grasso Tech 25-9, 25-15, 22-25, 25-13 in the CTC. Sherly Caba had 10 digs and five kills, Samarie Delgado had 12 kills and Lucy Sullcapuma had seven aces and five assists for Grasso (0-7).
• NFA lost to RHAM 25-14, 25-18, 25-16 in a nonleague match. Maya Conley had seven kills and eight digs, Kennedy Jakan had six kills and Sarah Ericson had 20 assist and two aces for NFA (3-5).
• Mitchell College lost to St. Joseph 3-2 in a nonleague match on Wednesday. St. Joseph won 29-27, 23-25, 16-25, 25-22, 15-13. Olivia DeLoach had 15 kills and 12 digs, Brianna Ley had 10 kills and 10 digs, Lexi Hubbard had 34 assists and 13 digs, Bree Rudolph had eight aces and Cameron Childs had 19 digs for Mitchell (7-7).
Stories that may interest you
The National Lacrosse League announced Thursday that it will not complete it 2019-20 and turn its attention to preparing for the 2020-21 season.