Local roundup: Wiley scores 31 to lift Mitchell women
Newton, Mass. — Amina Wiley scored 31 points and had 17 rebounds as Mitchell College beat Lasell 78-75 in a nonleague women's basketball game Thursday night.
Sam McKenna had 24 points and eight rebounds and Leilani McClellan scored 10 points for Mitchell (3-3). Amanda Ortiz scored 25 for Lasell (4-3).
In other games:
• Abby Stone of Old Lyme finished with 17 points, 10 rebounds, five steals and five assists as No. 10 UConn Avery Point won its sixth straight game 63-56 over Gateway Community College. The Pointers trailed 42-38 going into the fourth quarter before outscoring Gateway 25-14 en route to the win. Waterford graduate Rebekah Sanders added 16 points and 12 rebounds for Avery Point (6-1), Julitza Delgado had 11 points, eight steals and five rebounds and NFA grad Carsen Keith had 10 rebounds.
• Trinity beat Connecticut College 60-38 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference opener for both teams. Dana Muckstadt had nine rebounds and Emily O'Sullivan came off the bench to score 14 points for Conn (3-4). Bria Fuller led Trinity (6-1) with 17 points.
• Avery Point's three-game winning streak came to an end with a 102-72 loss to Gateway Community College. Cyrus Sprague had 20 points and Tyler Zegray scored 11 for the Pointers (4-6).
• St. Thomas More improved to 7-0 with a 65-51 win over Hoosac on Wednesday. Jared Garcia had 25 points and 12 rebounds for the Chancellors.
• Andrea Higgins won three events as Connecticut College beat Trinity 178-113 in its home opener on Wednesday night. Higgins won the 200-yard butterfly (2:11.57), 500 freestyle (5:27.33) and 200 individual medley (2:17.17).
Maddie Ford and freshman Tiernan Shea won two events each for the Camels (2-0). Shea won the 100 backstroke (58.45) and 200 backstroke (2:10.85) while Ford won the 100 freestyle (53.97) and 200 freestyle (1:57.87).
Conn's 200 medley relay team of Viola Hasko, Anika Svoboda, Ford and Shea won in 1:50.66 and the 400 freestyle relay team of Michaela O'Malley, Kenzie Healy, Svoboda and Ford won in 3:41.10.
• Charlie Adl won three events as Connecticut College opened his home schedule with a 202-77 win over Trinity on Wednesday night. Adl won the 200 freestyle (1:44.11), 100 freestyle (47.40) and 500 freestyle (4:53.86).
Dash Hunter and Colin Merrill won two events each for the Camels (1-1). Hunter captured the 100 breaststroke (1:01.58) and 200 breaststroke (2:16.74) and Merrill won the 200 butterfly (1:58.50) and 200 individual medley (2:02.24).
Conn's 400 freestyle relay team of Mitchell Lockwood, Julien Legros, Adl and Hunter won in a time of 3:16.51.
Stories that may interest you
Freshman Tyson Wheeler scored 24 points to lead St. Bernard to a 74-73 win over Ledyard in a high school boys' basketball game Wednesday night.
Joe Rodriguez is a three-time All-American, program record-holder in the 50-meter freestyle and 100 freestyle and in December became the first Coast Guard Academy swimmer to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials.