Local roundup: Montville wins Sachem Duals wrestling tourney
Hebron — Montville remained unbeaten by capturing the Sachem Duals wrestling tournament on Saturday at RHAM High School.
After defeating East Hartford (48-30), E.O. Smith (54-24) and an all-star team composed of individual wrestlers (61-6) in the round-robin portion of the tournament, the Indians defeated Eastern Connecticut Conference rival Windham 45-27 in the championship match.
Montville (7-0) had five wrestlers go 4-0 in the event — Somouadina Agunyego, Sawyer Kury, Ioana Cobena, Zach Doiron and Quinn Bond.
In other matches:
• East Lyme/Norwich Tech went 2-3 at the Killingly Duals. The Vikings defeated Coventry 63-0 and East Catholic 60-12 while losing to Lyman Memorial/Windhan Tech 60-24, Ellis Tech 42-39 and Killingly 69-0. Roark Ryan and Corey Filewich each went 5-0 for EL/NT while Evan Highley and Jeremiah Irizary each finished 4-1. The Vikings are 2-4.
• Waterford accepted eight forfeits on the way to a 72-6 win over Griswold on Friday. The Lancers (1-1) picked up pins from Mason Concascia (120), Donald Mellon (145) and AJ Sachatello (152). Sachatello's came in just 39 seconds.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Fitch's Kyhol Kershaw had 12 points, 11 steals and seven rebounds as the Falcons rolled to a 58-44 win over Maloney in the championship game of the Fitch Holiday Tournament. Fitch (4-0) won its own tournament for the second straight year. Seamus Graves also had a double-double for the Falcons (10 points, 10 rebounds) while Tre Bryant finished with eight points and 15 rebounds.
• Jabari Jones scored 22 points and had 14 rebounds, leading Ledyard to a 52-46 win over Granby. Jaiden Bickham had 13 points and five steals and Xander Hutchins had 11 rebounds for Ledyard (2-0), which led 16-8 after one quarter.
H.S. girls' basketball
• Stonington lost to South Kingstown, R.I., 66-18, in the championship game of the Westerly Holiday tournament. Zoe Ribeiro scored 13 points and Sophia Bell had 23 rebounds for Stonington (2-1).
• Joey DeAngelis scored three goals as unbeaten Hand built a 4-0 lead after one period and rolled to a 6-3 win over the Eastern Connecticut Eagles at Connecticut College's Dayton Arena. Hand is 4-0. Will Cannella scored two goals for the Eagles (3-2) while Ryan LoVetere also scored a goal and Evan Tower and Steve Turchetta each had an assist.
• UConn skated to a 2-2 tie with St. Lawrence in Dartmouth's Ledyard Bank Classic. Wyatt Newpower of UConn tied it at 1-1 with an unassisted goal in the second period and UConn's Alexander Payusov scored with 0.3 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime. Bradley Stone made 21 saves and Jonny Evans and Carter Berger had assists for UConn (7-6-4).
Stories that may interest you
After a chaotic few weeks, the local college athletic community is settling into what's unfortunately become a new normal routine.
For Coast Guard Academy linebcker RJ Robiskie's, his favorite part of family vacations growing up was going to the airport. Robiskie is now one of four Bears football players headed to flight school.