Local roundup: New London boys edge Waterford 45-43
New London — Tayeshawn Cunningham-Pemberton hit a pair of free throws with 9.2 seconds left to help rally New London to a 45-43 victory over Waterford in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' basketball game on Thursday night at Conway Gymnasium.
The Lancers (4-7, 1-3) led 43-42 when Cunningham-Pemberton was fouled and stepped to the line and sank both foul shots. The Whalers (5-6, 2-2) came up with a defensive stop before Derek Raymond, who finished with 10 rebounds, added a late free throw.
Cunningham-Cunningham finished with 14 points to lead New London while Rhodia Perry added 13.
Liam Kane and Ryan O'Connell scored 10 points apiece for Waterford.
In other games:
• Aedan Using had 27 points, 15 rebounds and eight assists as Old Lyme rolled to a 92-63 road victory over Hale-Ray in the Shoreline Conference. Ray Doll added 17 for the Wildcats (9-1, 8-0) while Ty Dean finished with 11 and Jared Ritchie and Frank Sablone had 10 apiece. Sean Padario made six 3-pointers and scored 20 points for Hale-Ray.
• Taylor Thompson had 10 points and six rebounds as Old Lyme cruised to a 40-20 non-conference win over St. Bernard. Sam Gray added 10 points and four steals for the Wildcats (7-3) and Emily DeRoehn finished with eight points, four rebounds and three steals. Sophia Boras scored nine points for the Saints (6-5).
• Alexa Pechie scored nine of her 12 points in the fourth quarter as Woodstock Academy defeated Ledyard 45-42. Tallie Williams had 12 points and eight rebounds to lead the Colonels (2-10) while Tajeah Winston added 10 points and five rebounds.
• Tyler Zegray scored 23 points, including 10 in overtime, as UConn Avery Point upset No. 15 Quincy 111-100 in Groton. Cyrus Sprague added 21 points, 15 coming in the second half, for the Pointers (6-8) while Mitchell Holdmeyer scored 17 points, Montville's John Domijan added 16 and Norwich's Alec Games had 13. Quincy is 9-3.
• Old Lyme's Abby Stone scored a career-high 36 points as UConn Avery Point routed Hudson Valley CC 95-70 in Troy, N.Y. Stone also added eight rebounds and seven assists for the Pointers (9-6) while Waterford's Rebekah Sanders added 16 points and 18 rebounds, Preston's Carsen Keith had 12 points and 10 rebounds, Ashley Burke had 15 points and Julitza Delgado had 10 points, eight assists and five steals.
• Sami Ashton had 23 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and four steals as Connecticut College beat Westfield State 89-70 in a nonleague game on Wednesday night. Ashley Howe scored 17 points and Casey Walsh had eight rebounds for Conn (6-10).
• Wellesley ended the game with a 19-3 run, pulling away for a 59-35 win over Coast Guard in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game on Wednesday night. Annabella Farabaugh led Coast Guard (11-6, 0-2) with eight points.
• Norwich Free Academy lost to Windham 34-32 on Wednesday night. Dominic Renfree (132), Mason McMahon (182) and Christian Gervais (912) had pins for NFA (8-7) and teammates Jaiden James (106), Connor DeVega (126), Theran Vanase (170) and Ruben Britos (220) also won matches.
• Led by Alex Potochniak's 189, Grasso Tech remained unbeaten with a 867-793 win over Wilcox Tech on Wednesday. Also scoring for Grasso (3-0) were Adam Riffe (176), Juliana Walker (170), Rick Dunn (166) and Alex Gauthier (166), who had a perfect score in prone.
Stories that may interest you
Noah Baldez had 22 points and Justin Kane scored 21 as the Coast Guard men's basketball team closed out its regular season with a 102-99 win over Emerson on Saturday, earning the Bears a spot in the NEWMAC tournament and a rematch with Emerson.