Local roundup: New London girls' hoop beats RHAM on Senior Night
New London — Jayden Burns had 17 points, seven rebounds and four steals as New London won on its Senior Night, 59-50, in its final regular-season girls’ basketball game on Thursday.
Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick had 18 points and 12 rebounds and senior Wendy Gethers had 11 points and 10 rebounds for New London (17-3), ranked sixth in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register poll. Also, Nalyce Dudley came off the bench and scored six, both of which were on 3-pointers, with two steals.
The Sachems are 2-16.
In other games:
• Trinity Angel scored 29 to lead Killingly past Waterford, 50-43. Killingly is 15-4. Milena Walker had 19 points and 14 rebounds for Waterford (8-12) and Lily Kramer scored 11.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Mason Jackson had 13 field goals and scored 34 to power Norwich Free Academy past Hall, 87-59. Jared Martin had 15 points and Nolan Molkenthin scored 10 for NFA (17-0), ranked fourth in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register poll. Matt Walker scored 23 for the Warriors (3-13).
• Antonio Brown scored 12 points to lead Montville to a 58-39 win over Norwich Tech in a nonleague game. Chas Terni and Bernard Hawkins scored 11 points each for Montville (12-4).
• Old Lyme's Abby Stone had 23 points, 15 rebounds, 12 assists and six steals as Avery Point routed Bunker Hill, 103-56. Quaker Hill's Rebekah Sanders had 20 points, 16 rebounds, six assists, three steals and three blocks for the Pointers (13-8) and Ashley Burke had 21 points and five assists.
• Kelsey Hernandez scored 25 points to help lead Mitchell College to a 68-60 win over Pine Manor in a nonleague game. Leilani McClellan had 14 points, Sam McKenna scored 10 and Amina Wiley had 12 rebounds for Mitchell (13-8).
• Bunker Hill beat Avery Point, 101-88, in a NJCAA Region 21 game. Cyrus Sprague had 22 points and five rebounds, Montville's John Domijan had nine points and five rebounds, and Waterford's Trevor Yeomans scored 10 for Avery Point (12-12, 10-6).
• St. Thomas More beat Navy Prep 72-65 on Wednesday. Chris Manon had 18 points and five rebounds, Jair Currie scored 17 and Elijah Perry had 10 rebounds and seven assists for the Chancellors.
• Maddie Ford anchored the 800-yard freestyle relay to a sixth-place finish for Connecticut College on the opening night of the New England Small College Athletic Conference. The team of Andrea Higgins, Vaughn Ammon and Sarah Daly had a time of 7:37.40.
• Grasso Tech’s Chris Dow and Alex Potochniak both shot a high-score of 179 as the Eagles beat Montville, 885-491, to finish their regular season unbeaten. Thomas Riffe shot a 177 and Abby Nadeau a 169 for Grasso (6-0). Also, Alex Gauthier and Robert Holland both had perfect scores from the prone position. Jacquelyn Meyer shot a 165 for Montville (0-6) and Christopher Munzner and Grace Walenczyk both shot a 163.
Stories that may interest you
Ledyard High School jumped out to a 30-9 lead after one quarter and went on to beat Stonington 77-70 in a quarterfinal in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' basketball tournament Thursday night.
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLECSU softball clinic — At ECSU’s Geissler Gymnasium in Willimantic. All-skills clinic is Sunday, March 8 from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (cost is $95). Contact: ECSU coach Diana Pepin, firstname.lastname@example.org, (860) 465-5182.Waterford Babe Ruth baseball...