Local roundup: Potvin Scholarship recipients announced
Waterford — Forty-three local senior student-athletes were named this week as Christopher Potvin Scholarship recipients. The athletes will be honored Sunday, Aug. 9, at Langley's Restaurant in Waterford. Recipients, who will each be awarded $1,000 toward college, are:
Ryan Bakken (Waterford), Lydia Bowen (Enosburg Falls H.S., Vermont), Riley Burke (NFA), Jared Burrows (Waterford), Madison Cann (Old Lyme), Will Cannella (Stonington), Cassandra Cannon (New London), Nathan Craig (Woodstock Academy), Jonathan Daniewicz (NFA), Alexis DeLucia (Montville), Caitlin Dooley (NFA), Riley Ellington (NFA), Nicholas Fava (Old Lyme), Scott Alan Galbo Jr. (East Lyme), Abraham Gollsneider (Waterford), Max Grossman (Fitch), Kaylee Hall (Bristol), Victoria Hannaford (St. Bernard), Blane Hart (East Lyme) and Cameron Hart (East Lyme).
Also, Anna Johnson (East Lyme), Katie Keating (East Lyme), Andrew Koziol (Griswold), Cassidy LaSaracina (Bacon Academy), Audrey Matson (Williams), Rachel Miller (Waterford), Briana Muckle (Waterford), Ryan O'Connell (Waterford), Justin "LJ" Pezzolesi (Hamden Hall), Kate Reagan (Stonington), Jared Ritchie (Old Lyme), Amara Monique Robinson (Fitch), Anthony Sachatello (Waterford), Justin St. Martin (Putnam), Payton Sutman (Waterford), Sophie Taylor (East Lyme), Mackenzie Teper (NFA), Lydia Tinnerello (Old Lyme), Ethan Toback (East Lyme), Brooke Tracy (Wolcott), Samantha Tracey (NFA), Grayson Walley (Woodstock Academy), Travis White (Woodstock Academy).
• The UConn women's basketball team announced it will postpone three series which were scheduled to begin this season.
The Huskies will not play California, Oklahoma or Texas this season. UConn has 20 league games now with the return to the Big East Conference, up from 16 while playing in the American Athletic Conference.
• Tyler Daly struck out four in two innings of relief to pick up the win as the Tide beat the Three Rivers Sonics, 5-2. Doug De La Cruz, Ben Jerome and Jeremy Sagun all doubled for the Tide (2-2). Kyle Richards tripled and scored for the Sonics (0-2).
• Conner Dulin struck out six to pick up the win as the Knights beat the Clams, 6-0. Tyler Schiavone drove in two runs for the Knights. Kevin Johnson had the lone hit for the Clams.
• Cam Varney got the win, striking out 11, as the Tides beat the Clams 5-3 on Sunday. Jakari Pellegrini, JD Dove and Cam Corliss had two hits each for the Tides and Liam Milewski earned a save. Max Gregory homered for the Clams.
• Grafton Angevine allowed just one hit over 5.1 innings with three runs and 13 strikeouts as Norwich beat Danielson, 8-4. Aaron Penney, Dan Eggler and Will Wolfe each had two hits and an RBI for Norwich and Tristan Smith struck out the side in the seventh inning.