Local roundup: East Lyme edges Ledyard 2-1 in ECC Div. I baseball game
East Lyme — Jace Lillie and Nate Licitra combined to pitch a one-hitter as East Lyme edged Ledyard 2-1 on Tuesday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game.
Lillie went the first 5.1 innings, walking two and striking out seven, and Licitra struck out four of the five hitters he faced in 1.2 perfect innings for the Vikings (2-0, 2-0). Matt Bradley added two hits and Aiden Ellis had a single and an RBI.
Cian Sullivan singled for the Colonels (1-1, 1-1).
In other games:
• Fitch scored eight runs in the sixth inning to pull away from Bacon Academy and earn a 17-7 ECC Division I victory. Ryan O'Connor chipped in two hits and five RBI while Cam McGugan had two hits and two RBI and Alex DelCampo had four hits and an RBI for the Falcons (2-0, 2-0). Luke Pennella's first varsity hit was a two-run triple for the Bobcats (0-2, 0-2) while Terrance Gignac had an RBI single and Steven Laliberte added a single and RBI.
• Conner Rowe had two hits, scored two runs and stole a base in Waterford's 11-8 win over New London in ECC Division I. Ryan Salvador had two hits and three RBI, Logan Avin two hits and two RBI and Evan McCue two hits for the Lancers (2-0, 2-0). Ken Miller had three doubles and three RBI for the Whalers (0-2, 0-2) and Sean Raymond had two hits.
• Jeremiah Bobbi had four hits, three runs and two RBI as Lyman Memorial downed Griswold in six innings, 17-4, in an ECC Division II game. Nick Ortiz had three hits, three RBI and two runs for the Bulldogs (1-1, 1-1) and Mike Incontro had two hits and four RBI. Ben Darrow also scattered five hits over five innings with five strikeouts to earn the win.
• Anthony Ballestrini scored five goals and Nolan Brown and Tom Brunelle each had one in NFA's 7-2 win over Waterford in an ECC Division I game. Quincy Perkins added three assists for the Wildcats (1-0) and goalie Sam Sweeney had 12 saves. Oliver Searle and Anthony Stone scored for the Lancers (0-1).
• Tyler Simao had four goals and four assists to highlight Stonington's 15-4 season-opening ECC Division II win over Ledyard/Griswold on Monday night. Nate Hennessy added four goals and Aidan Davies three for the Bears while Joseph Burton scored twice for the Colonels and Dylan Freyer and Cam Reynolds each scored a goal.
• Ryan Whaley had four goals and three assists as East Lyme opened its season with a 12-5 ECC Division I victory over Woodstock Academy. Sean McCusker added three goals for the Vikings while Garisen Wiese had a goal and three assists and Cooper Pazzaglia had two assists. Goalies Mason Gallo and Caleb Haylon combined for six saves.
• Fitch raced out to a 12-3 halftime lead on the way to a season-opening 18-6 win over Waterford in an ECC Division I game. Rita Sefransky led the Falcons with seven goals and three assists while Bridget O'Leary had four goals and four assists and Sophia Clang added two goals and one assist. Maddie Corbiel and Allison Sousa also scored for Fitch and goalie Olivia Brookhart had nine saves.
• Maddie McLeod scored four goals to lift Ledyard past Killingly, 10-2, in an ECC Division II game. Helena Robinson had a goal and an assist and Jessica English had two goals while Kate English and Clare Inyang also scored and goalie Bella Drummond made 11 saves for the Colonels (1-0).
• Ivy Goodman scored eight goals and added an assist in Stonington's 16-2 win over Woodstock in the ECC Division I season opener. Rachel Sabbadini had three goals and three assists and Katherine Glenn and Elle Thompson each had one goal and two assists for the Bears.
• Matt Ladd fired a 48 to earn medalist honors and lift Griswold past Tourtellotte/Putnam 6-1 in a season-opening ECC Division II match at River Ridge Golf Course. Lucas Hanley shot a 57 for the Wolverines, who also received a win from Logan Richards (57).
• Medalist Jack Kramer shot a 43 to lead Fitch to a 5-2 win over Stonington in an ECC Division I match at Shennecossett Golf Course. Nate McCormack and Casey Adams both had a 44 for the Falcons (1-0). Noah Bosse (54) and Jon Clark (52) won their matches for the Bears (0-1).
• Mitchell College broke a seven-game losing streak with an 8-7 win in game two of a doubleheader against New England College in the New England Collegiate Conference. Maliah Pabellon hit a three-run home run while Hannah Lemke, Sydney Oatway, Laurissa Amaker and Sarah Alives each had two hits in the win and Katelyn Lipsky was the winning pitcher for the Mariners (3-10, 1-5), who dropped the first game 5-1.
• Lindsey Fairbank scored three goals and Daniella Holland added one in Mitchell College's 19-4 loss to Elms College in the NECC. The Mariners are 0-6, 0-1.
H.S. boys' tennis
• Westbrook defeated Old Lyme 5-2 in the Shoreline Conference. George Danes won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1 singles for the Wildcats while the No. 1 doubles team of Regan Kay and Will Danes won 6-2, 6-2.
• Fitch beat Waterford 6-1 in an ECC Division I match on Monday that was the season opener for both teams. Ian Straub, Aidan McLean and Tim Lynch won singles matches for Fitch along with the doubles teams of Charlie Cartier-Calvin Lupo and Douglas Cardona-Nicholas Sousa. Ian Balfour won at No. 2 singles for Waterford, which forfeited third doubles.
Stories that may interest you
It was a season opener that had almost everything — come-from-behind finishes, dominating performances, dramatic crashes, a rain delay — it all happened Saturday during Blastoff 2021 at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl.
Top-seeded Babson College won the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference men's tennis championship with a 5-3 victory over No. 2 Coast Guard Academy on Sunday.