H.S. roundup: Bacon's Vasseur no-hits Stonington
Colchester — Colton Vasseur pitched a no-hitter as Bacon Academy beat Stonington 4-0 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game on Thursday.
Vasseur (4-1) struck out 11, including the final batter, for his fourth straight complete game. It was Bacon's first no-hitter since Bryan Howes threw one against Windham in 2007.
A.J. Blanchette had two hits, including an RBI single for Bacon (8-3, 8-3). Jack Novak had an RBI single and Harry Snow and Vasseur each drive in a run. Stonington is 0-12, 0-12.
In other games:
• Dan Driscoll was 4-for-4 and scored three runs as No. 4 Waterford beat Fitch 12-4 in an ECC Division I game. Connor Podeszwa went the distance for the win, striking out eight with no walks. Mason Concascia and Jackson Long, who drove in five runs, had two doubles each for Waterford (11-0, 10-0). Anthony Franco had three hits and Alex DelCampo and Tate Scherer had two hits each for Fitch (8-3, 8-3).
• Tait Sawden pitched a three-hitter as Old Lyme beat Hale-Ray 12-0 in a five-inning Shoreline Conference game. David Evers was 2-for-4 with four RBI and scored twice, Colbe Andrews was 3-for-4 with two runs scores, Jesper Silberberg was 2-for-2 and scored twice and Grady Lacourciere drove in two runs for Old Lyme (6-9, 6-9).
• Eddie Niejadlik pitched a two-hitter with eight strikeouts as Woodstock Academy beat Wheeler 4-1 on Wednesday in an ECC Division II game. Kyle Kessler walked and scored, Sean Bergal hit a sacrifice fly and Matt Pierce and Bradin Anderson both singled for Wheeler (2-10, 2-10).
• Maddie Burrows pitched a one-hitter with 19 strikeouts as No. 2 Waterford beat Fitch 7-0 in an ECC Division I game. Burrows, who walked one, also singled, homered, drove in two runs and scored twice. Lily Marelli had two hits, Angela Colonis and Emma Beardsley had RBI singles and Anna Dziecinny and Kyleigh Pinell each doubled and scored a run for Waterford (14-0, 13-0). Kylee Wtulich singled for Fitch (8-5, 8-5).
• Kaelin Waldron pitched a two-hitter as Griswold beat Windham 6-1 in an ECC Division II game. Waldron struck out 16 with no walks for Griswold, which has handed Windham its only two losses. Lucia Ceccarelli, who doubled and drove in three runs, had two hits along with Sydney Lickwola and Sonja Matheson scored twice for the Wolverines (11-1, 11-1).
• Windham Tech beat Grasso Tech 16-3 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Cindy Holland and Samantha Post had run-scoring singles for Grasso (0-7, 0-7).
• Kiley Mullins pitched a two-hitter with nine strikeouts and no walks as North Branford beat Old Lyme 6-0 in a Shoreline Conference game. Ava Roth had both hits for Old Lyme (9-5, 9-5).
• Tori LoPresto was 4-for-4 with a double as Stonington beat Bacon Academy 7-1 in an ECC Division I game. Elaina Previty was the winning pitcher and Maggie Constantine and Shea O'Connor had two hits each for Stonington (7-4, 7-4). Julia Grottole and Julia Baehr had two hits each for Bacon (3-9, 3-9).
• East Lyme and NFA picked up ECC Division I wins against Montville in a tri-match. East Lyme beat Montville 6-1 behind medalist Matt Orefice (39) and NFA beat Montville 5.5-1.5. Logan Rolfe shot a 41 for East Lyme (10-0, 9-0) and teammates Dan Singer and Max Caron shot 46s. JJ Hay shot 43, Liam O'Neil 46 and Kyle Sikorski 47 for NFA (6-3, 4-2). Montville (5-4, 4-3) was led by Tyler Radford (43), Morgun Whittaker (44) and Cameron Dececco (49).
• Grasso Tech lost to Ellis Tech in a CTC match, 163-203. Nolan Blewitt led Grasso (3-6, 3-6) with a 43, Nathan Sylvestre shot a 48 and Norman Maranda had a 50.
• Fitch beat New London 6-1 in an ECC Division I match. Zach Stock of New London (0-11, 0-10) was the medalist with a 41. Nate McCormack (44), Casey Adams (48), Elliot Reese and Jack Nystrom won matches for Fitch (6-7, 5-7).
• Lucas Baldinger was the medalist as Bacon Academy beat Tourtellotte/Putnam 7-0 in an ECC Division II match. Baldinger shot a 39 and Dave Tremblay (46), Connor Tuttle (49), John Ceruti and Nathan Harasimowitz also won matches for Bacon (6-2, 5-2).
• Kyle Sikorski and JJ Hay both shot a 41 in NFA's 5-2 win over Waterford in Wednesday's ECC Division I match. NFA is 5-3, 3-2. Danny Torres shot a 40 to earn medalist for the Lancers (6-4, 6-3) and Nick Hynes shot a 42.
• Sujesh Kurumbail, Daniel Sapozhnikov and Benjamin Tan won in straight sets as unbeaten East Lyme beat Waterford 7-0 in an ECC Division I match on Wednesday. The doubles teams of Guillem Colom-Rohan Purohit and Jiarui Peng-Ayush Mishra also won for East Lyme (11-0, 10-0). The Lancers are 3-8, 3-7.
Boys' track and field
• Lucas Strain won the 800 (2:11.78), long jump (19-3) and triple jump (36-5) as Griswold beat Tourtellotte 126-17 in an ECC Division III meet on Wednesday. Devon Chykow won the 100 (11.61) and 200 (24.72), Ryan Pelillo the 110 hurdles (17.84) and 300 hurdles (47.15) and Michael Strain the 400 (52.91) and 3,200 (10:49.41) for Griswold (4-0-1, 3-0-1).
Girls' track and field
• Tourtellotte beat Griswold 67-51 in an ECC Division III meet on Wednesday. Alexis Langlois won the 100 (13.05) and 200 (28.7), Kathryn Melgey the 1,600 (7:36.86) and Alexis Johnson the 800 (3:09.81) for Griswold (0-5, 0-4).
Stories that may interest you
BASKETBALLSt. Thomas More Camp — June 28-July 2 and July 12-16. For ages 7-17 (coed), from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Pre-register at camp website due to space availability and for COVID protocols. Contact: Jere Quinn, email@example.com, (860)...
Don’t ever expect to see Jared Burrows throw his glove in disgust after a rough outing or curse his way from the pitching mound to the dugout.