Local roundup: Fitch hands No. 3 Waterford first baseball loss 5-3
Waterford — Ethan Mireault scattered seven hits in a complete-game effort and Fitch overcame an early 2-1 deficit to handed Waterford its first loss of the season, 5-3, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game on Monday.
Mireault did not walk a battle and struck out nine against the Lancers (13-1, 11-1), the No. 3 ranked team in the latest GameTimeCT.com state poll.
Ryan O'Connor had a big game for the Falcons (9-4, 9-3), going 3-for-4 with two triples and three runs scored, while Isaiah Anderson added a two-run triple.
Ryan Salvador and Sean Salvador each had two hits and an RBI for Waterford while Dan Driscoll added a triple and RBI.
In other games:
• Ben Orefice pitched a complete game five-hitter for his first varsity victory as East Lyme defeated Stonington 5-2 in an ECC Division I game. Orefice walked three and struck out seven for the Vikings (7-4, 7-4), who broke a 2-2 tie with three runs in the bottom of the sixth, including a two-run single by Aidan Ellis. Chris Martin double and scored twice for East Lyme while Wyatt Verbridge had two hits for the Bears (0-14, 0-14).
• Bradin Anderson pitched a three-hitter as Wheeler beat Grasso Tech in a five-inning mercy rule game. Anderson also had a hit and drove in a run for the Lions (3-11) while Matt Pierce had a hit, RBI and scored three runs. Tito Arias had two hits for the Eagles (5-6).
• East Hampton scored a run in the bottom of the seventh to edge Old Lyme, 7-6, in the Shoreline Conference. Tait Sawden hit a pair of home runs, including a game-tying solo shot in the top of the seventh, and drove in three runs for the Wildcats (7-10, 7-10) while Colbe Andrews added a pair of hits.
ECC keeps mask mandate
• The ECC announced that it will continue with its mask-wearing policy for the remainder of the regular season and its postseason tournaments, which begin next week. Commissioner Gary Makowicki, who made announcement, said in his release, "Many ECC schools, as part of their reopening plan to bring all students back to campus, are requiring masks to be worn on school grounds. We ask that you respect and honor the league policy."
Sun active Jasmine Thomas
• The Connecticut Sun activated guard Jasmine Thomas and terminated the contract of guard Aleah Goodman, a rookie from Oregon State. Thomas, who joined the team late from her overseas obligations, was activated after passing all COVID-19 protocols, including a quarantine period. She is expected to play on Wednesday when the Sun (2-0) host the Indiana Fever at Mohegan Sun Arena at 7 p.m.
• Freshman Emma Baylor went the distance with 18 strikeouts as Old Lyme defeated East Hampton/Portland 8-1 in the Shoreline Conference. Bayor also went 2-for-3 with a double, three-run homer and four RBI for the Wildcats (10-5, 10-5) while another freshman, Ava Roth, added two hits with three runs and two stolen bases.
• Sara Rivers pitched a five-hitter and struck out 12 as Ledyard rolled to a 9-0 win over East Lyme in an ECC Division II game. Shailynn Williams led the Colonels (11-1, 11-1) with a double, triple and two RBI while Rivers and Samantha Money had two hits apiece. East Lyme is 2-9, 2-9.
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Lindsay Clement scored four goals to highlight St. Bernard's 11-9 victory over Killingly in an ECC Division II game. Sophia Videll added three goals for the Saints (3-6, 3-6).
• Lily Tomczik scored five goals as Montville rolled to a 13-8 win over Griswold in an ECC Division I game. Maddie Gould added four goals, Reagan Buscetto had three, Elie Bowman had two assists and goalie Lindsey Beavan made five saves for the Indians (10-3, 8-1). Abby Wing scored three goals for the Wolverines (5-6, 4-4).
H.S. boys' golf
• Nicholas Smith shot a 42 to earn medalist honors as Morgan edged Old Lyme 177-185 in a Shoreline Conference match at Black Hall Club. Andrew Hedberg shot a 43 to lead the Wildcats (5-5, 5-5) and Pat Flanagan added a 45.
Stories that may interest you
Norwich Sea Unicorns pitcher Jayvien Sandridge has left the team after signing with the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday, the first player to ink a professional contract during the team's Futures Collegiate Baseball League tenure.
BASEBALL/SOFTBALL Hat Fengar press box — Waterford Babe Ruth will hold a dedication for the Harold "Hat'' Fengar press box on Saturday, June 19 at noon. Contact: Rick Beaney, email@example.com Eastern Connecticut Major League...