Trump administration moves to block Chinese airlines from US
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration moved Wednesday to block Chinese airlines from flying to the U.S. in an escalation of trade and travel tensions between the two countries.
The Transportation Department said it would suspend passenger flights of four Chinese airlines to and from the United States starting June 16.
The decision was a response to China's failure to let United Airlines and Delta Air Lines resume flights this week to China, which were suspended earlier this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic that started in China's Wuhan province.
The Transportation Department said that China was violating an agreement between the two countries covering flights by each other's airlines.
“The Department will continue to engage our Chinese counterparts so both U.S. and Chinese carriers can fully exercise their bilateral rights,” the agency said in a statement. “In the meantime, we will allow Chinese carriers to operate the same number of scheduled passenger flights as the Chinese government allows ours.”
The department said President Donald Trump could put the order into effect before June 16.
Stories that may interest you
The U.S. is heading into the Fourth of July weekend with many parades and fireworks displays canceled, beaches and bars closed, and health authorities warning that this will be a crucial test of Americans’ self-control
A dog in Georgia is believed to have been the second canine in the U.S. to test positive for the virus that causes COVID-19
The Phase 3 study, which includes 30,000 patients, was initially supposed to begin on July 9, but changes to the trial plan have altered the schedule, investigators who spoke anonymously told STAT earlier Thursday.
A combined 25,000 new confirmed coronavirus cases in four U.S. states are fueling a surge as the country heads into the July Fourth holiday weekend