Power outage leaves several blocks in the dark in Manhattan
New York City — A power outage cast darkness across dozens of blocks in New York City early Friday, as many people in the city were still without electricity in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Isaias.
Con Edison said in a tweet that it was aware of a “brief service interruption," later adding that a problem with its transmission system “caused three networks in Manhattan to lose their electric supply,” just after 5 a.m. The supply had been restored, according to the statement posted just after 6:30 a.m.
Crews have been working around the clock to restore power across the city due to the tropical storm that battered the East Coast earlier this week, Con Edison also said.
Live video showed few lights across Manhattan, including parts of the Upper East Side, Upper West Side and Harlem, WABC-TV reported. Some customers said their power was back by 6 a.m.
The power outage was expected to cause “mass transit disruptions on A, B, C, D, 1, 2 & 3 train service in Manhattan,” the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said in a statement. Passengers were asked to consider alternate routes and plan for delays.
Stories that may interest you
The bombshell revelations that President Donald Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes the year he ran for office and paid no income taxes at all in many others threaten to undercut a pillar of his appeal among blue-collar voters and provide a new opening for his Democratic rival just two...
The United States has told the Iraqi government and its diplomatic partners that it's planning a full withdrawal from its embassy in Baghdad unless Iraq reins in attacks on personnel linked to the American presence there.
Trump avoided paying income taxes for years, largely because businesses reported losing money, report says
President Donald Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and the same amount in 2017, and paid no taxes at all in several previous years, according to a new report in The New York Times.
Lawyers for TikTok have pleaded with a U.S. judge to delay the Trump Administration’s ban of the video sharing program from app stores set to take effect at the end of Sunday