Local roundup: No. 1 Fitch boys reach ECC South semifinals
Groton — Yaniel Hernandez and Khyol Kershaw had double-doubles as No. 1 Fitch beat No. 9 Stonington 47-40 in the quarterfinals of the Eastern Connecticut Conference South Division boys' basketball tournament on Friday.
The Falcons (6-1) host No. 4 NFA in the semifinals on Tuesday. NFA beat No. 5 Waterford 61-50. Hernandez had 13 points, 10 rebounds, five steals and five assists and Kershaw scored 14 points with 10 rebounds. Kevin Saintville Ravix and Chris Kershaw scored nine points each for Fitch. Nate Cyr led Stonington (2-10) with 11 points.
In other games:
• Chris Carpenteri scored 20 points and had five rebounds as No. 2 East Lyme beat Ledyard 62-52 in the ECC South Division quarterfinals. The Vikings (8-3) will host No. 6 St. Bernard in a semifinal on Tuesday at 6 p.m. St. Bernard beat No. 3 New London 60-38.
Matt Valakos scored 14 with five rebounds, Wil Anglin and Marshall Gada scored 12 points each and Sujesh Kurumbail had five assists and four steals for the Vikings. Jabari Jones had 23 points and 16 rebounds and Dorell Cagle scored 23 for No. 7 Ledyard (5-6).
• Grasso Tech lost to Windham Tech, 68-52, in the semifinals of the Connecticut Technical Conference Group A tournament. Donnel Brown had 14 points and Tyrell Dennis scored 12 for Grasso (6-8).
• Plainfield outscored Lyman Memorial 15-3 in the fourth quarter and advanced to the ECC North Division semifinals with a 50-28 win. Elijah Brady led No. 3 Plainfield with 20 points and Jaiden Lopez led No. 6 Lyman (3-7) with 13 points.
• Logan Talbot scored 30 points as No. 1 Woodstock Academy beat No. 9 Wheeler 78-37 in an ECC North Division quarterfinal. Nick Larkin led Wheeler (1-7) with eight points.
• Griswold lost to No. 5 Windham 33-30 in the ECC North Division tournament quarterfinals. Tyler Green had eight points, six rebounds and four blocked shots for No. 4 Griswold (5-6).
• No. 4 Fitch beat No. 5 Stonington 51-44 in the ECC South Division tournament quarterfinals. The Falcons play at No. 1 NFA in the semifinals on Monday. NFA beat No. 8 St. Bernard 55-22. Alyssa Virtue had 12 points and six rebounds, Charlotte Carney had 12 points and Rita Sefransky scored 11 for Fitch (8-2). Freshman Cierra Bravar had 16 points, Tori LoPresto scored 11 and Sophia Bell had 12 rebounds for Stonington (4-6).
• Avery Point lost to Word of Life Bible Institute, 85-81. Neko Jones led Avery Point (0-3) with 22 points and 11 rebounds and former NFA standout Nolan Molkenthin had 18 points and 10 rebounds. Zach Scott of Stonington had 16 points and Nik Hay scored 11 for the Pointers.