Hay-filled barn burns to ground in Stonington

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Stonington — Firefighters spent much of Monday extinguishing the smoldering remains of a hay-filed barn that burned to the ground earlier in the day.

The two-story, 4,000-square-foot barn at 630A Al Harvey Road is located on the property of White Oak Farm, a former dairy farm owned by Scott Cheetham. The barn was stacked full of hay at the time of the fire, first reported at about 12:50 p.m.

Old Mystic Fire Chief Kenneth Richards Jr. said 75 percent of the barn was in flames when firefighters arrived and little could be done to save the structure. An unknown number of chickens were killed in the fire.

Firefighters used water from a nearby pond to fight the fire and Richards said he called in several area departments to assist in manpower and provide more water from tankers.

Richards said the local and state fire marshal’s offices will investigate the cause of the fire. He expects the fire to smolder for days because of the amount of hay involved. He said an excavator will be used to dig into the hay to access hot spots.

A tenant on the property said in addition to hay, the barn contained some antiques and various tools. Horses and cows on the property were not harmed.

 - Greg Smith


Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Police logs - April 19, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.

Two condemned pit bulls remain in Norwich pound since 2013 awaiting judge's ruling

Oral arguments were held Thursday in New Britain Superior Court in dog owner Sheri Speer's appeal of the destruction order.

UPDATED: Rabid bobcat euthanized after attacks on golfer, horse

A golfer used his club in self-defense when a bobcat "came out of nowhere" and attacked him Thursday morning at the Mohegan Sun Golf Course, a club official said.

Man arrested in 2017 in Old Lyme for fentanyl possession is sentenced to 30 months

Alcides Alba-Gomez, 29, pleaded guilty in January and was sentenced on Thursday.